Seasoning meat and fish

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
5:17 PM
There appears to be a number of theories on how best to season raw meat and fish prior to cooking. Some steak that I buy was seasoned prior to freezing (or so it says on the wrapper) whereas one chef states that it should be seasoned immediately prior to cooking.

Myself, I season both meat and fish with freshly rough ground pepper and sea salt about 3 hours before they hit the pan and I have had no complaints (not surprising as I am the only person eating them).

Does any member have any thoughts on this?

My personal favorite way to season a good steak is to put just salt on it a day before I cook it, then put the steak(s) in the fridge on a tray with a rack on it (to let air get all around the meat). That draws some water out of the meat, and allows the salt to sink in (osmosis).

Since I cook my steaks sous vide, I put black pepper, and usually some granulated garlic on the meat just before I vacuum seal it and put it in the water bath.

CD

Since I cook my steaks sous vide, I put black pepper, and usually some granulated garlic on the meat just before I vacuum seal it and put it in the water bath.
Baby Brother loves to cook steak sous vide. G purchased an Instant Pot with a sous vide feature. I have cooked wild pig and venison sous vide but have not sous vide steak.
We buy whole Rib Eye and cut our own steaks. I keep it simple. Dry the meat with a towel. Lightly brush with EVOO. Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper. Cook in a hot cast iron skillet. Get that sear. Medium Rare.
I will try sous vide. Probably not until next year. Much too busy.

My personal favorite way to season a good steak is to put just salt on it a day before I cook it, then put the steak(s) in the fridge on a tray with a rack on it (to let air get all around the meat). That draws some water out of the meat, and allows the salt to sink in (osmosis).
That's what I do most of the time.

Here's my routine.
Steak: season with salt 1 hour prior to cooking
Most other meat: season right before cooking
Turkey: brine a day or two in advance
Fish: season right before cooking... unless fish is being prepared for smoker in which case a dry brine is used 2 hours prior to smoking.

Here's my routine.
Steak: season with salt 1 hour prior to cooking
Most other meat: season right before cooking
Turkey: brine a day or two in advance
Fish: season right before cooking... unless fish is being prepared for smoker in which case a dry brine is used 2 hours prior to smoking.

For whole turkeys/chickens, I like to do an overnight wet brine. My brine generally has salt, sugar and fresh herbs.

CD

I like to dry brine pork chops. Which is an odd term since brine is a liquid, and not dry. But I salt the pork, put it on a rack on a plate and stash it in the fridge overnight, or 24 hours or so. I have found it makes for a better tasting, more tender pork chop. Like this double cut, bone in chop I did a while back.

20210907_075611.jpg

Dry brined for around 26 hours. Sous vide at 130F for two hours, seared on a cast iron grill pan and smothered with a soubise sauce. Braised leeks and bacon on the side.

20210908_114821.jpg

That was a very tasty hunk of pork!

mjb.

I like to dry brine pork chops. Which is an odd term since brine is a liquid, and not dry. But I salt the pork, put it on a rack on a plate and stash it in the fridge overnight, or 24 hours or so. I have found it makes for a better tasting, more tender pork chop. Like this double cut, bone in chop I did a while back.

View attachment 76338

Dry brined for around 26 hours. Sous vide at 130F for two hours, seared on a cast iron grill pan and smothered with a soubise sauce. Braised leeks and bacon on the side.

View attachment 76339

That was a very tasty hunk of pork!

mjb.
Not unusual at all. I dry brine pork belly for bacon and brisket for Montreal smoked meat.....both of which take 9 days or so to cure.

Back
Top Bottom