Separating egg yolk and egg white

Guess what I did with them? Yep, put them in a salt/sugar mix to cure. They will be in the cure until Sunday and then they have to dry either in the oven at a very low heat or in the refrigerator wrapped in cheesecloth for several days. I think carbonara may go on our menu list next week since they are supposed to be a really great thing to grate for that dish, or maybe something with asparagus and eggs.

I keep meaning to do this too.

I forgot to take the yolks out of the salt/sugar mix yesterday, but finally remembered tonight. Wrapped them in a paper towel and they'll air dry in the refrigerator until Saturday or Sunday. They are quite firm and a bit smaller. Yolks from large eggs. The salt/sugar mix is quite wet. Wonder if I can dry out and reuse because that was a good bit of salt? Using a method from the James Beard House. The outside with the salt/sugar crystals will get peeled off before grating.

When I made the vanilla cake layer for the cannoli cake, I ended up with 2 egg yolks since the cake only used the whites. Guess what I did with them? Yep, put them in a salt/sugar mix to cure. They will be in the cure until Sunday and then they have to dry either in the oven at a very low heat or in the refrigerator wrapped in cheesecloth for several days. I think carbonara may go on our menu list next week since they are supposed to be a really great thing to grate for that dish, or maybe something with asparagus and eggs.

Ok ya got me, I'm interested in this, havnt heard of a cured egg. Look forward to your cook. And pics.

Russ

In the process of doing an egg drop soup, using egg white only, I found a new clean way to separate white and yolk.

I punched a small hole in the bottom wide end of the egg and then enlarged the hole just enough to let the white drip out, but not the yolk. The method worked very well. Albeit, I intended it only to get a drip of the egg white for the soup, I found it to work very cleanly for separating the white and yolk for another recipe I did the same day, a meringue.

I tried the traditional method more than once, but shaky hands made me a total klutz flop at most attempts. And I was no better using a special tool for the purpose. This new method was simple, quick and sure. And better, the yolks remained unbroken in the shell as a convenient storage container, until I could use them for something else.

Back
Top Bottom