Shoes and ties etc.

caseydog

Local time
8:46 AM
[Mod.Edit: This and following few posts moved to form a new topic. (MG)]

Probably more than one. 😬

See, MrsTasty wants my opinion on shoes. She needs something to ignore completely. :laugh:

Women's shoes are such a ripoff. 70 bucks for shoes that last six months. Back when I worked for Ross Perot, part of our "uniform" was black business shoes. Most men at EDS bought Florsheim wingtips, so that's what I bought. 150 bucks in 1985. That is $475 in 2020 dollars.

I still have those shoes, and they still look good.

BTW, when I say "uniform," it meant black dark grey, or blue two piece business suits, a white or light blue button down shirt, pressed, and a silk tie -- single Windsor knot with a dimple exactly in the middle of the tie below the knot. We could take our jackets off in our offices or cubicles, but had to put them on if we went anywhere else in the building -- including going to the restroom.

But, the pay and benefits were outstanding. If you snagged a job at EDS, people (well, most) envied you. I bought a three bedroom house, and got a mortgage for it at age 25. I am certain that the line on the loan app where you write in your place of employment got me approved.

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
Women's shoes are such a ripoff. 70 bucks for shoes that last six months. Back when I worked for Ross Perot, part of our "uniform" was black business shoes. Most men at EDS bought Florsheim wingtips, so that's what I bought. 150 bucks in 1985. That is $475 in 2020 dollars.

I still have those shoes, and they still look good.

BTW, when I say "uniform," it meant black dark grey, or blue two piece business suits, a white or light blue button down shirt, pressed, and a silk tie -- single Windsor knot with a dimple exactly in the middle of the tie below the knot. We could take our jackets off in our offices or cubicles, but had to put them on if we went anywhere else in the building -- including going to the restroom.

But, the pay and benefits were outstanding. If you snagged a job at EDS, people (well, most) envied you. I bought a three bedroom house, and got a mortgage for it at age 25. I am certain that the line on the loan app where you write in your place of employment got me approved.

CD

A double Windsor is minimum. Tut tut. Lol

Russ

Ahhh, necktie knots, a favorite subject of mine. What knot size you choose is generally determined by the size and style of the collar. You don't want a big collar to swallow something small like a four-in-hand; nor do you want a big fat knot with a lot of wraps to overpower a more delicate collar, like a cutaway collar. They've got to complement each other.

Ahhh, necktie knots, a favorite subject of mine. What knot size you choose is generally determined by the size and style of the collar. You don't want a big collar to swallow something small like a four-in-hand; nor do you want a big fat knot with a lot of wraps to overpower a more delicate collar, like a cutaway collar. They've got to complement each other.

This was the EDS knot...

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 10.06.49 PM.jpg

In my job in Marketing Support, I had face-to-face interaction with customers. So, I was taught how to tie the EDS knot. To this day, that's how I tie a knot, on the very rare occasion I wear a necktie.

CD

A double Windsor is minimum. Tut tut. Lol

I cannot remember the last time that I wore a tie. It must have been the 80s. Whenever I travelled to a place of work, I would always pack a tie just in case. It's not really a requirement for pipeline related jobs especially in Asia.

I hate bow ties

You have jogged my memory. The last tie that I wore was a bow tie (on elastic) at a formal PIG dinner around '93. (PIG is Pipeline Industries Guild). My wife has probably binned the suit, dress shirt, tie and patent shoes by now.

I cannot remember the last time that I wore a tie. It must have been the 80s. Whenever I travelled to a place of work, I would always pack a tie just in case. It's not really a requirement for pipeline related jobs especially in Asia.

I was a sales rep at Steel n tube. Compulsory!

Russ

If you start thinking about it, ties are rather peculiar. Here is a bit of history - note the Croatian links Burt Blank:

"Most historians agree that the necktie originated in the 17th century, during the 30 year war in France. King Louis XIII hired Croatian mercenaries who wore a piece of cloth around their neck as part of their uniform. Alas, neckties do serve a function! They were used to tie the top of their jackets. But they also had quite a decorative effect. A look that King Louis became quite fond of. He actually liked it so much that he made these ties a mandatory accessory for Royal gatherings. The necktie was named “La Cravate” in honour of the Croatian soldiers.

Since the 17th century the neck tie has undergone many changes, often subtle but all important. During the 20th Century, the world saw a decline in formal cravats as mens fashion became less about look and more about comfort, functionality and fit.

The 1920s were an important decade for men’s ties. A tie maker by the name of Jesie Langsdorf invented a new way of cutting the fabric when constructing a tie. This led to the creation of different tie knots. Bow ties were reserved for formal occasions whilst neck ties were the predominant choice for gentlemen. Neckties were a way for gentlemen to express their artistic side, during the Art Deco movement, the ties became wider and bolder, expressing patterns and designs reflecting Art Deco.

Ties continued to become bolder and more colourful after the end of the war. They displayed patterns that stood out and became a piece of statement clothing. It is rumoured that ‘skinny’ ties were invented as the makers were running short of fabric so used the last bits to form a tie! Whether there is truth in this or not, they were definitely still a statement and were used in the 50s to compliment a more fitted, tailored styling."

The hidden history of Ties

Back
Top Bottom