Shoes and ties etc.

I was about to mention the Croatian link to ties - still the mecca for tie enthusiasts such as myself and it's why Croatia is on my short list. I want to own at least one necktie bought at a particular shop there.

Bow ties...I love 'em. Only hand-tied of course, and part of the charm of a bow tie is that the knot is better when it's not perfect. Each one's as distinct as a snowflake.

When my nephews (and on occasion, my nieces) needed to know how to knot a tie, they never went to their fathers, they came to me. My family is the type to think that ties are for weddings and funerals and that's about it. I, OTOH, have been known to slap on a tie even with no plans to leave the house that day.

I also like scarves, cravats, ascots, all that stuff. I probably grew up watching too many Hammer horror movies, were gentlemen always had their neckwear game on point.

This is the knot I use more often than...not:

How to Tie a Cross or Christensen Necktie Knot | AGREEorDIE

The others that I use(d) frequently enough that I can tie them from memory are the Four-In-Hand, Windsor (single and double), and Plattsburgh (MrsTasty's hometown, so I felt obligated, and everyone should know one inside-out knot). There are other one-offs, like an Onassis knot (which is barely a knot), but any of the really fancy ones, like a Trinity knot, I have to look those up.

Last edited:
I cannot remember the last time that I wore a tie. It must have been the 80s. Whenever I travelled to a place of work, I would always pack a tie just in case. It's not really a requirement for pipeline related jobs especially in Asia.
Weddings and funerals only these days, which restricts the choice to only about three colours, black, purple and grey/silver. I have no idea why I still have around 70 other ties dating from the mid 1980's to the early 2000's when I no longer needed to dress formally. Mostly silk, some wool and quite a few works of art - I was very much into ties.

Whenever we (used to) travel, that's always been one of my go-to "souvenirs" - find a good, local menswear/tailor and buy a nice tie that no one here would have access to.

I have a heavy woolen one I bought in Ireland; it's so bulky, it nearly takes two people to knot it, and with even the slimmest of knots, it looks about the size of a grapefruit once knotted. :laugh:

Women's shoes are such a ripoff. 70 bucks for shoes that last six months. Back when I worked for Ross Perot, part of our "uniform" was black business shoes. Most men at EDS bought Florsheim wingtips, so that's what I bought. 150 bucks in 1985. That is $475 in 2020 dollars.

I still have those shoes, and they still look good.
I've always thought that about women's clothes too, pound for pound they generally seem less well made than men's clothes.

I haven't bought a pair of formal shoes since the 1990's, but still have two perfectly serviceable pairs from then - a pair of classic black Church's and a pair of brown brogues. More recently I have favoured boots. Suede desert boots for knocking around in, and brogue boots for smart casual:
1598452424932.png

Men's fashion in the UK over recent years has leaned towards slim fitting smart trousers, waistcoats, open necked formal shirts and shiny brogue boots, all of which suit me fine.

I've always thought that about women's clothes too, pound for pound they generally seem less well made than men's clothes.

I haven't bought a pair of formal shoes since the 1990's, but still have two perfectly serviceable pairs from then - a pair of classic black Church's and a pair of brown brogues. More recently I have favoured boots. Suede desert boots for knocking around in, and brogue boots for smart casual:
View attachment 45494
Men's fashion in the UK over recent years has leaned towards slim fitting smart trousers, waistcoats, open necked formal shirts and shiny brogue boots, all of which suit me fine.

I reckon you & TastyReuben would make a smart pair out on the town.

Back
Top Bottom