Shopping - one swoop or more frequently?

Wife works 8 to 5 mon to fri. We do a planned shop on Saturday, I do a list off the board TastyReuben got me into this. It's not everything as I also call into shops during the week. Today I'm getting Coke and biscuits and stuff to spoil,grandkids. Maltesers and m and ms prolly. Potato crisps as well?

Russ

What list are you using? It sounds helpful.

Hope you have fun with your grandkids!

5 times a week, Each morning we discus over our breakfast coffee what we will eat that night. This takes place between 06.00 and 07.00 so anything we need from the freezer will defrost. We eat a lot of fruit in the week so we normally need to replenish. Everything is put back a day if we see some seafood we fancy at the fish market,

Oh my. You are so organized. I like the idea of deciding in the morning. Sometimes I'll prepare something and then realize that it's not what I want for lunch or dinner so I end up scrambling to make something else. I won't use my stove (cooker) unless my caregiver is here but I have an air fryer and toaster oven with auto-shut-off so I still have some options for cooking alone.

Did I read somewhere that you were in the military? Maybe I'm thinking of a different poster.

Wow. I don't blame you for wanting to get everything in one trip. Thirty-five minutes away is not an easy commute.

It's cool that you have a garden. I can't grow anything. Sigh. What kinds of things do you grow in your garden?

I would probably be overwhelmed if I had easy access to SIX shopping options. That would be sensory overload for me. Ha Ha.

I think it's nice to have ethnic stores nearby. We have a Mexican grocery store and I can usually find what I want with my limited Spanish skills. We don't have an Indian or Asian market closer than 30 minutes away. I've been meaning to check them out when I go that way for my doctors' appointments.

Wow. It sounds like you accomplished quite a bit on your last shopping run. I look forward to seeing pics of your Christmas village. ;-)

Well, there was a bit of an adjustment period moving up here - got kind of spoiled back with six major food shopping options nearby or at least near work (for a couple of those).

This year's successes were potatoes, kale, beets, beet greens, cabbage and lettuce. Cherry tomatoes, salad turnips and cucumbers did okay. Epic fails with the basil, winter squash and the regular tomatoes.

I hear you. I lived in a different state for 7 years and relied on grocery pick-up. They didn't offer delivery but it was so nice to just place and order, drive up and have them load the van. Our local WalMart started doing online shopping but it's a work in progress (you can't change your order after one hour which makes no sense because they don't open until 7A and you can get substitutions that have to be taken back to the store if you don't want them. That kind of defeats the purpose of the convenience of online shopping).

We also have a service in IL (although I never checked to see if they come here. I live in a rural area so I cannot get services like Uber or Lyft) called PeaPod. They deliver straight to your front door. I used them a few times and it was great service and quality products. I haven't found anything comparable though.

PeaPod - where I am, PeaPod won't even come. I checked it out when I couldn't drive for awhile after knee surgery. Nope, too far. Didn't have a garden yet, either.

Reactions: mjd
Well, there was a bit of an adjustment period moving up here - got kind of spoiled back with six major food shopping options nearby or at least near work (for a couple of those).

This year's successes were potatoes, kale, beets, beet greens, cabbage and lettuce. Cherry tomatoes, salad turnips and cucumbers did okay. Epic fails with the basil, winter squash and the regular tomatoes.

PeaPod - where I am, PeaPod won't even come. I checked it out when I couldn't drive for awhile after knee surgery. Nope, too far. Didn't have a garden yet, either.

I totally get the being spoiled part. I had a home delivery dry cleaning service that came right to my office for pick-ups/drop offs. I missed them when I left that company. ;-) Luckily, I don't usually wear items that need to be dry cleaned as we don't have one here.

Wow! I am totally impressed with your garden. I tried and failed. I can't keep anything alive (except my kids ;-). Do you do a lot of canning/tinning? If so, I would love to hear about that. I've only done apple butter and onions. I'd like to try other things but haven't been able to find the small (4 oz.) Mason jars. It's just me now so there is no point in making larger quantities as they'd just go bad before I could finish them.

PeaPod...Yes, I've heard that about them. I was SHOCKED when a giant semi-truck pulled up to deliver my groceries. I'm in a rural area now and we only have a bus service for seniors. We have a cab service but it's $7 per leg so it would cost me $28 to go to WalMart, Aldis and the pharmacy and back home. I priced them out for a ride to Chicago (about 1.5 hours away) and it was almost $400. Needless to say, I miss my vehicle. ;-0

I'm glad you have things sorted out now where you can get the things you need on a regular basis. It definitely makes all the difference.

Thanks for sharing!

Oh my. You are so organized. I like the idea of deciding in the morning. Sometimes I'll prepare something and then realize that it's not what I want for lunch or dinner so I end up scrambling to make something else. I won't use my stove (cooker) unless my caregiver is here but I have an air fryer and toaster oven with auto-shut-off so I still have some options for cooking alone.

Did I read somewhere that you were in the military? Maybe I'm thinking of a different poster.
I will be 70 in Jan so I have to fill the thought void left by only thinking of sex occasionally now . I volunteered to fight in a war when I was quite young. I was injured so I took up more safe ways of making money.

I will be 70 in Jan so I have to fill the thought void left by only thinking of sex occasionally now . I volunteered to fight in a war when I was quite young. I was injured so I took up more safe ways of making money.

I'm going to start a petition to get a new emoticon called the "BB" just for your posts! LOL

TastyReuben , I've never been to Kroger. What is it like?

Are you limiting your stops due to COVID? Our governor just closed our schools again in response to the second wave so I imagine that they will go back to having people not leave their homes except for essential grocery shopping.

What's going on in your area with that?

P.S. My memory is crap too. It's a good day when I have matching shoes! LOL
Kroger is a typical super/hypermarket. Here's a little blurb:

"The Kroger Company, or simply Kroger, is an American retail company founded by Bernard Kroger in 1883 in Cincinnati, Ohio. It is the United States' largest supermarket by revenue ($121.16 billion for fiscal year 2019),[4] and the second-largest general retailer (behind Walmart).[4] Kroger is also the fifth-largest retailer in the world and the fourth largest American-owned private employer in the United States.[5] Kroger is ranked #23 on the Fortune 500 rankings of the largest United States corporations by total revenue."

They also own other grocery chains, like Fred Meyer and Ralph's.

They have different configurations. My local one is a mid-sized straight-vanilla market with the usual departments. When I say "the big Kroger," I'm referring to a Kroger Marketplace, which adds things like an in-store cheese shop (Murray's), bigger deli, bistro, bigger bakery, bigger housewares department (like full Lodge cast iron display, etc), and they sell some home items, like artwork for your walls, rugs, side tables, etc.

I have changed my shopping because of COVID, but now I'm somewhere between what I was doing when we first went into hiding in March and what I was doing in the Before Time. I don't linger in a grocery store nowadays. I go in with a full list, and I get what I want, but I don't fart around like I used to, and I don't spend too much time squeezing every melon to get the right one.

I don't have kids, so I don't really know or care what the schools are doing :))), though I think we're still able to choose between distance learning and going into the classroom.

I get my weekly big shop delivered to our door, but I do go to specialty stores for specific things. The Netherlands is not known as a culinary walhalla, mainly because supermarkets have a very generic assortment that doesn't differ much from store to store no matter what name it bears. I order my organic meat online.
But there are good speciality shops if you know where to go, like the classic French bakery I now get my bread from. I also order online at a British expat shop at least once a month, though I foresee that in the future due to Brexit that might not happen for a (long) while alas.
I also get chocolates and treats from a local patisserie, good fish from a local fishmonger and several otherwise hard to get products from the weekly market. With some creativity all the food I eat is up to my standard.

living rurally and outside of any rural delivery zone, I do not get the option of shopping online. My only option would be click and collect. Now if I'm going to drive to the store (just under 1 hr away) I would prefer to select my own fruit and veg, decide if I want only ½ kg of say mushrooms, (online shopping is only in full units, so my options are 1 kg or 2kg or 3kg of whatever... ) and use my own recyclable fruit and veg weigh bags. These can go straight into the fridge without the need to give the veg/fruit a hole in the bag to breathe etc.
And I am paranoid about swap outs. I've heard stories but I don't want the hassle of going through each item and saying no...and so on. So we just get on with our shopping once a week after work and accept that that night's evening meal will be slightly late. We shop once a week for most stuff with a big once a month shop for the non-perishable items and freezer stuff.

That's cool. I've never gotten into the vacuum seal options. I used to be on a group for Friendly-Freezer and was good about proper rotation so nothing ever "got lost" in the deep confines of my freezer.

I don't have a deep freezer anymore so I just have the one above my fridge which is just enough space for one.

What type of sealer do you use and have you noticed a marked difference in the quality of food from the freezer with and without the sealing? I might consider buying one if it helps.

I have the Foodsaver brand -- they pretty much own the market for home vacuum sealers. I use it almost entirely for meats and seafood. I can vacuum seal and freeze a good steak for at least six months, and not notice any taste or texture difference. The tip is to thaw your meats out slowly in the fridge. Don't rush the thaw. So, you need to think a day or two in advance to get the best results.

CD

Kroger is a typical super/hypermarket. Here's a little blurb:

"The Kroger Company, or simply Kroger, is an American retail company founded by Bernard Kroger in 1883 in Cincinnati, Ohio. It is the United States' largest supermarket by revenue ($121.16 billion for fiscal year 2019),[4] and the second-largest general retailer (behind Walmart).[4] Kroger is also the fifth-largest retailer in the world and the fourth largest American-owned private employer in the United States.[5] Kroger is ranked #23 on the Fortune 500 rankings of the largest United States corporations by total revenue."

They also own other grocery chains, like Fred Meyer and Ralph's.

They have different configurations. My local one is a mid-sized straight-vanilla market with the usual departments. When I say "the big Kroger," I'm referring to a Kroger Marketplace, which adds things like an in-store cheese shop (Murray's), bigger deli, bistro, bigger bakery, bigger housewares department (like full Lodge cast iron display, etc), and they sell some home items, like artwork for your walls, rugs, side tables, etc.

I have changed my shopping because of COVID, but now I'm somewhere between what I was doing when we first went into hiding in March and what I was doing in the Before Time. I don't linger in a grocery store nowadays. I go in with a full list, and I get what I want, but I don't fart around like I used to, and I don't spend too much time squeezing every melon to get the right one.

I don't have kids, so I don't really know or care what the schools are doing :))), though I think we're still able to choose between distance learning and going into the classroom.

Wherever you live in the US, you may have a Kroger store you don't know about. And, they all except each others "loyalty cards."

Unknown.png

CD

I have the Foodsaver brand -- they pretty much own the market for home vacuum sealers. I use it almost entirely for meats and seafood. I can vacuum seal and freeze a good steak for at least six months, and not notice any taste or texture difference. The tip is to thaw your meats out slowly in the fridge. Don't rush the thaw. So, you need to think a day or two in advance to get the best results.

CD
I will have to look into getting one. Thanks for sharing that info.

Thanks
I will have to look into getting one. Thanks for sharing that info.
I just got one this year. Got off to a rocky start with it, but once I got the hang of it, I love it.

We always went once a week pre COVID, with occasional pick ups if we forgot something or made a change in the planned menu. Then, we started trying to go about every 2 weeks, using frozen veges or long lasting ones like cabbage, carrots, hard squashes, etc for the second week. Now, I'm trying to go no more than every 9 to 10 days, and using up the meats in the freezers, since the whole shopping trip, carrying in and putting away falls on me.

So, how about it! Do you shop in one fell swoop or go on the hunt more frequently?

My wife shops twice/week in the evening open air market (Monday and Thursday), three times/week in one of the supermarkets and spends three hours shopping whilst I'm at snooker every Wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom