Shortages & inflation-are you stocking up?

Wow, people are still panic buying there then?

We've only had that happen in the first month of the pandemic. It's been like normal ever since

It is now more of a supply chain issue. Stuff is not getting to the stores in a timely manner.

CD

It is now more of a supply chain issue. Stuff is not getting to the stores in a timely manner.

CD
We have exactly the same here in Australia as well. and buying online for the Aussie post office to deliver is a slow business. done today it should arrive by Christmas but there's no guarantee right now. We only have 1 courier company that delivers to our house, so we can only use couriers if we know which company (TNT) delivers. some (DHL is one) abandon parcels at the local garage or rural supplies store some 16km away, if you're lucky the driver let's you know and 1 company leaves it at the local post office and the postman will deliver it the next day if it is small, else we will get a call from the post lady who has our number to ring when we need to come and pick something up.

I haven't quite got my head around parcels being delivered somewhere else without you being told it is even going to happen, let alone when and you just having to guess where and when especially given that the only reason for going into that town is oddly to collect these abandoned sorry delivered parcels.

Here in Germany we don't have any supply chain issues, we probably paid a lot of extra money to many cheap truck drivers from the eastern part of Europe. I guess they're currently working as much as they can.
Lucky you!

The first supply chain issues are showing up here, but that's because employers pay the drivers peanuts and then complain they can't get staff.

Over here (in Japan) they announce on the news what's going up in price and by how much and when. Myself, I'm a bit of a food hoarder -- trust me, during the zombie apocalypse you'll fatten up if your holed up with me -- so I'm VERY well stocked atm, and I'm glad. The price of flour has already gone up a dollar a kilo and is set to rise again, and on and on and on.

Myself, I've always kept at least 30kg of flour on hand and I put 10kg of butter in the fridge for the holidays this afternoon (butter is becoming a luxury item over here at about 10usd per kilo and set to rise again this month). I've already bought and stored my holiday meats, sought out the booze I'll need, and bought most of my holiday essentials.

Anyway, I'm wondering if you're buying ahead and/or (usually) buy in bulk and what the "shortage" situation is in your countries.
I've been a food hoarder for decades. I was poor and hungry in my early 20s and in my late 30s I started stocking up on sale items when I went shopping. My habits haven't changed much, though I buy some different food items since the kids grew up and moved out.

I have noticed beef prices went up, and eggs. I haven't been buying much beef lately but we've been eating a lot of chicken instead.

Edited to add I have maybe 4 pounds of butter and 3 of those are in my freezer. I don't waste food. I have about 15 lbs of flour but I bake a lot of bread. I don't panic buy but I don't like making repeated trips to the store for stuff.

Last edited:
we've stocked up more than usual - but because of an oblique covid issue . . .

per the long range weather forecasts . . . and they're never wrong . . . (!)
we're due for a colder and wetter = lots of snow , , , winter.

our state, township and county are reporting a significant inability to hire snow plow drivers.
and we have hills, we have lots of hills . . .
definite potential to be snowed/iced in for 7-10 days.

The uprising beef prices are related to the corona invections in the big meat farms. One of the biggest meat farms in the world, in brazil, had to close many of it's places, what was the reason why the beef prices were rising last year.

The uprising beef prices are related to the corona invections in the big meat farms. One of the biggest meat farms in the world, in brazil, had to close many of it's places, what was the reason why the beef prices were rising last year.
Here is believe it's the meat packing plants. I have no idea why it hasn't affected poultry, but chicken and turkey meat is cheap.

Last edited:
Chicken is going up here. Winn Dixie hasnt had chicken thighs or legs on BOGO for months and they are on special for $1.79 a pound this week. I remember paying $1.49 a pound not too long ago when we bought chicken thighs.

We had lunch out at a small family owned and staffed dive today. Got to talking with them and they are thinking about taking conch fritters off their menu because they are having a lot of trouble finding conch and when they do the price has more than doubled. All the other stuff has had significant price increases at the wholesale level and they said they never know what they aren't going to be able to get, but there's always something.

I like to go for groceries right after they restock in the morning. There are a few good things about that, 1) restocking leaves stuff available without having been snatched up by shoppers, 2) there are no lines during checkout, 3) plenty of open parking spaces and 4) there is no contentious traffic on the roads to and from the stores.

As far as inflation, goes, there's not a lot to do about that, except to have choices where you buy your groceries. Some stores are less pricey than the major supermarkets which always seem to be gouging every penny they can get.

I like to go for groceries right after they restock in the morning. There are a few good things about that, 1) restocking leaves stuff available without having been snatched up by shoppers, 2) there are no lines during checkout, 3) plenty of open parking spaces and 4) there is no contentious traffic on the roads to and from the stores.

As far as inflation, goes, there's not a lot to do about that, except to have choices where you buy your groceries. Some stores are less pricey than the major supermarkets which always seem to be gouging every penny they can get.
I just do curbside shopping at my favorite grocery stores. It's free with a minimum $35 order. I order online, park in a curbside spot, pop the trunk, and they put it in my car. I don't have to interact with anyone or worry about lines at checkout. I pick times that are convenient for me and definitely not at times where there is a lot of traffic on the roads.

As far as inflation goes, it may have altered some of my shopping habits, as I typically buy what's on sale unless it's a special occasion. Oh, I do get some stuff delivered as well (lamb chops, seafood) from one company that has really great prices, and it arrives flash frozen in a cooler with dry ice.

Chicken is going up here. Winn Dixie hasnt had chicken thighs or legs on BOGO for months and they are on special for $1.79 a pound this week. I remember paying $1.49 a pound not too long ago when we bought chicken thighs.

We had lunch out at a small family owned and staffed dive today. Got to talking with them and they are thinking about taking conch fritters off their menu because they are having a lot of trouble finding conch and when they do the price has more than doubled. All the other stuff has had significant price increases at the wholesale level and they said they never know what they aren't going to be able to get, but there's always something.
Maybe we just have more chicken farms around here. I can still get thighs for .99 cents per pound on sale and skinless boneless breasts are $1.99 lb. Roasters and fryers are $1.04 I think? Something like that.

I haven't had a conch fritter in so long. That's awful to hear.

Back
Top Bottom