Shortages & inflation-are you stocking up?

they are thinking about taking conch fritters off their menu because they are having a lot of trouble finding conch

what is the distribution for conch? my impression is/was primarily tropical waters.

during my Las Vegas exile,,,, there was an Italian place in Henderson that did conch in absolute splendor.
back then.... LV flew in two 747 freighters with fresh live seafood daily - so the conch could have come from anywhere.

That's expensive for Japan, we're at about $6 per kilo of chicken breasts, but up from $4.

What's the price of lamb/mutton in NZ like?

Lamb I have been paying $13 kg which is the cheapest itd been for years.
But lately its getting up to $18 to $24 kg. I think it was cheap as exports were down and its opened up again.
Hence the increase. We don't see mutton here much. Hogget is more available.
I have a large leg of lamb in my freeze with xmas day written on it. :)

Russ

Lamb I have been paying $13 kg which is the cheapest itd been for years.
But lately its getting up to $18 to $24 kg. I think it was cheap as exports were down and its opened up again.
Hence the increase. We don't see mutton here much. Hogget is more available.
I have a large leg of lamb in my freeze with xmas day written on it. :)

Russ
That's better than here, I pay about $12 a lb for rack of lamb (1 kilo is roughly 2.2 lbs).

I don't know what hoggett us, is that like piglet?

Nevermind. I googled and found out hoggett is 2nd year sheep. I hear that mutton is gamey. I've never eaten it.

That's better than here, I pay about $12 a lb for rack of lamb (1 kilo is roughly 2.2 lbs).

I don't know what hoggett us, is that like piglet?

Nevermind. I googled and found out hoggett is 2nd year sheep. I hear that mutton is gamey. I've never eaten it.

Right on both occasions, a rack here is about 7 ribs and about $20 _$25 ea.
I usually do cutlets.
Mutton is quite strong flavour, I dont think you would like it????

Russ

Right on both occasions, a rack here is about 7 ribs and about $20 _$25 ea.
I usually do cutlets.
Mutton is quite strong flavour, I dont think you would like it????

Russ
I figured I probably wouldn't like mutton, I've never seen it in market so most people must not.

I've been a food hoarder for decades. I was poor and hungry in my early 20s and in my late 30s I started stocking up on sale items when I went shopping. My habits haven't changed much, though I buy some different food items since the kids grew up and moved out.

I have noticed beef prices went up, and eggs. I haven't been buying much beef lately but we've been eating a lot of chicken instead.
:hug:same. Being hungry does change your brain.

I'm hoarding within reason (no panic buying but prepping instead) , no bizarre quantities of fresh produce. But I definitely do keep non perishables. It's also a cultural Indo thing by the way, our people have seen too much adversity to not have a little bit of a stash for the hard times.

:hug:same. Being hungry does change your brain.

I'm hoarding within reason (no panic buying but prepping instead) , no bizarre quantities of fresh produce. But I definitely do keep non perishables. It's also a cultural Indo thing by the way, our people have seen too much adversity to not have a little bit of a stash for the hard times.
I must be in touch with my inner Indonesian, lol. Kidding, because I am of Norwegian, Irish, English, and Native American descent. But on a serious note, my parents grew up during the Great Depression, which really impacted my mother with some sort of PTSD that she never got over. Perhaps some of her terror of doing without passed on to me. I can't stand to waste anything, so no, no panic buying. I might buy more shelf stable products (or things I can freeze) than I can use at one time, but I don't buy so much that it will expire before I can use it, and I am always very frugal so if I see a sale, I am on it!

I figured I probably wouldn't like mutton, I've never seen it in market so most people must not.

We went to a housewarming in Kuala Lumpur in the 90s. The guy (Chinese) had invited an Indian chef from one of the top hotels. He brought a mutton curry with him. It was superb.

I would never think of trying to cook a mutton curry. Rogan Josh (with lamb) is my limit.

I can't stand to waste anything, so no, no panic buying.
I can't stand waste either but I do know the reason for mine issues. it does make it hard to diet when you've been brought up 'clear your plate', at first it wad because you never knew when the next meal was coming unless it was a school day (free school lunches kept us going for years), then age mum remarried, it wad clear your plate 'think about those starving kids in Africa'.
but I do remember my mother never ate with us for any meal. it wasn't that the table wasn't big enough, she could have sat on the side not against the wall, it was simply she wasn't eating to ensure we had something. most often Heinz tomato soup with a little grated cheddar cheese in it and a slice of bread... breakfast was slice bread, sometimes toast but usually bread (cheaper), usually with blackberry jelly (for those in the US, that's a seedless jam). occasionally it was black currant or red currant jelly if it was on offer at the post office shop but the only time it was ever Raspberry jam or strawberry jam was if my grandparents had been to the PYO fruit farm and were jam making. occasionally we'd get a jar when we saw them. Grannie knew raspberry was my favourite. they also took us blackberry picking and would give us several jars of home-made blackberry jelly.

it's hard not to hoard, but I have to remind myself I've plenty in as it is.

There's nothing bad about hoarding, when you ask me. Hoarding is something we humans are doing since the first civilizations and the methods of preservation are plenty and all of them interest me. My mother still teaches me, not to hoard, instead I should go to the supermarket whenever I need something instead of buying enough for one week on one tour. I don't even trust the people in the supermarkets, many of them are just regular people, who are just working for some money, most of them throw away anything that can't be selled and that's why I started with Foodsharing. Btw. the workers in the supermarkets shouldn't be judged by me, they're just doing their jobs.

There's nothing bad about hoarding, when you ask me. Hoarding is something we humans are doing since the first civilizations and the methods of preservation are plenty and all of them interest me. My mother still teaches me, not to hoard, instead I should go to the supermarket whenever I need something instead of buying enough for one week on one tour. I don't even trust the people in the supermarkets, many of them are just regular people, who are just working for some money, most of them throw away anything that can't be selled and that's why I started with Foodsharing. Btw. the workers in the supermarkets shouldn't be judged by me, they're just doing their jobs.
I think hoarding is OK as long as it's not wasteful or detrimental to others (like panic buying when there is a crisis). The whole idea of my hoard is to prevent my household from suffering shortages, because I have experienced those as a child and can bear the thought of hunger or hungry family members. But I don't store more than we can reasonably use within a couple of months after a crisis might hit us.

... breakfast was slice bread, sometimes toast but usually bread (cheaper), usually with blackberry jelly (for those in the US, that's a seedless jam). occasionally it was black currant or red currant jelly if it was on offer at the post office shop but the only time it was ever Raspberry jam or strawberry jam was if my grandparents had been to the PYO fruit farm and were jam making. occasionally we'd get a jar when we saw them. Grannie knew raspberry was my favourite. they also took us blackberry picking and would give us several jars of home-made blackberry jelly.
It's the same in the US, we call seedless jam jelly. I love both jam and jelly! I don't like grape so much. We ate a lot of peanut butter and jelly or jam in sandwiches for lunch. My mom used to make me cinnamon toast for breakfast sometimes, too.

I think my older siblings experienced more hunger than I did when they were young, before I came along. There were 6 of us and I was the youngest. My father was promoted to colonel during the Vietnam War, which was a significant pay increase, and my oldest brother was 19 and moved out on his own when I was 3. Then we moved to Okinawa when I was 6, where the American dollar went much further and it was cheaper for our mother to feed us.

Back
Top Bottom