Should I roast hemp seeds alone and in pizza

Amateur1

Local time
6:16 PM
I have these hemp seeds. I've bought these as my instinct is to assume they are less processed than hulled seeds.
Just Natural Organic Org Hempseed Whole 250g

Should I roast them before eating? They're OK raw, but nothing special. If I should roast then at what temperature and for how long?
Suppose I want to use them in a pizza. Should they be pre-roasted and added as a topping or mixed into the dough then left in the oven for about 15 minutes (with a short break for turning over) at about 250c?

I would never add hemp seed to pizza but if I did I would grind it and add to the flour. Sprinkled on top to me would just be a distraction considering what it brings as far as taste is concerned. The hype with hemp seed is it's amino acid profile, which is very good for a plant also they (companies selling it) extol the fact that it has ALA which is alpha-linolenic acid a fat that they all refer to as an omega 3, which is incorrect, but it sells product. Just my opinion.

Thanks very much. More generally, should I roast before eating or have them raw?
What would you prefer in terms of taste and texture?
What does roasting do to the nutritional profile?
If I should roast then at what temperature and for how long?

Thanks very much. More generally, should I roast before eating or have them raw?
What would you prefer in terms of taste and texture?
What does roasting do to the nutritional profile?
If I should roast then at what temperature and for how long?
I have virtually no experience with hemp seed but have tasted them raw and decided I can live without them. Roast them like you would other seeds, there's many websites that can give you more information .As far health and nutrition is concerned the volatile oils that are found in seeds are wrapped in a matrix that protects those oils from oxidation when exposed to light, heat, oxygen, and we don't want to be consuming oxidized poly unsaturated fats in any amount and actually the western style diets are consuming around 1/3 of total calories from polyunsaturated fats, which has created a big problem with chronic inflammation therefore in the raw form and not heated would be the healthiest way to consume them or not at all. Sorry, you asked. Cheers.

I have these hemp seeds. I've bought these as my instinct is to assume they are less processed than hulled seeds.
Just Natural Organic Org Hempseed Whole 250g

Should I roast them before eating? They're OK raw, but nothing special. If I should roast then at what temperature and for how long?
Suppose I want to use them in a pizza. Should they be pre-roasted and added as a topping or mixed into the dough then left in the oven for about 15 minutes (with a short break for turning over) at about 250c?
There is nothing there that suggests the hemp seeds are raw (and ordinarily when it's raw it is advertised as so), so they will likely have been processed already, just with the hulls on, so more fibre.

There is no reason to cook them because as with a lot of things (but not everything), hemp seeds loose nutrition when cooked and if cooked incorrectly, you'll destroy the very vitamins/oils you are after.

I'd recommend that if you prefer them warm, add them a minute or two before serving.

Personally, I would have them ground up it simply in a cold pressed oil format and drizzle the oil over the pizza before stirring. Exactly how you choose to serve then though is entirely up to you, just bare in mind that they'll likely be coarse to chew and bitty and not offer much in flavour.

You could grind them and make your own pasta from them if you'd like a challenge though. Hemp pasta is on the supermarket shelves here.

Back
Top Bottom