Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bake off croissants

I get two breakfasts today!

I'm going over to see my folks. Because of their advanced ages, they don't get up and moving around until 11AM or so, so that means I have breakfast here with my wife, then I drive 75 mins and have second breakfast with my folks.

I feel like a proper hobbit!

Here's my first breakfast:

This was originally to be an egg challenge entry because of the "secret" ingredient. Yeasted biscuit, co-jack cheese, salt-cured country ham, fried egg, and...drumroll, please, a big smear of raspberry jam.

The biscuit was split and grilled crisp in a little butter first. The cookbook where I got this (Food & Wine) said not to be afraid of the jam, and we were both suspicious, but they were right - the sweetness of the jam really balanced out the saltiness of the cured ham. We both loved it.

Second breakfast was more biscuits; half-order of biscuits and sausage gravy at the diner my parents like:

Gravy was decent, but the biscuits were a bit underdone and doughy. It was all I could do to finish every last bite. :laugh:

I have a silicone egg ring. I lube it up with butter, put it on a buttered non-stick pan, and pour a scrambled egg into it.

CD
Have you ever tried the microwave method? I know some people don't like microwaves. It comes out perfectly round (the shape of the small dish I use that's the same size as the English Muffin) and no rubbery texture. I mean, I suppose if I overcooked the eggs they would be rubbery but it's never happened. In my mind it's faster and less dirty dishes.

Have you ever tried the microwave method? I know some people don't like microwaves. It comes out perfectly round (the shape of the small dish I use that's the same size as the English Muffin) and no rubbery texture. I mean, I suppose if I overcooked the eggs they would be rubbery but it's never happened. In my mind it's faster and less dirty dishes.

No, I haven't. I will probably try it, but I need to get a dish that is the right size and shape (on the bottom) for an "egg puck," as I call them.

CD

No, I haven't. I will probably try it, but I need to get a dish that is the right size and shape (on the bottom) for an "egg puck," as I call them.

CD
Yeah, I have a small bowl that works, a dip bowl that is the perfect size, a teacup, and 2 of those little Pyrex containers that are also the right size for my egg pucks. It sure makes it simple and fast. I can have his breakfast prepared in under 3 minutes (faster than McDs drive thru).

Breakfast was steel-cut oats cooked in milk, with sorghum, brown sugar, and raisins mixed in, along with some bacon and a biscuit with butter and jam on the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom