Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
More scrambled eggs:

Doughnut Sunday:

That's a 10" dinner plate, so you can get an idea of the scale. One's an apple fritter, the other is a cream-filled caramel long john.

The last time I posted a doughnut, JAS_OH1 referred to what I would call a long john as a cream stick - a name which I really like. However, this morning, completely unbidden, I suddenly remembered that we didn't call these rectangular, cream-filled bits of heaven either of those names when I was a kid.

They were generally labeled as bismarks, and it was one of the very, very few sweet treats Mom would splurge on, occasionally buying a sack of Sap's bismarks from the local IGA.

Thinking back, I can remember how excited I'd get, walking into the little grocery store (IGAs are small, locally-owned grocery stores and have all but disappeared, sadly), because the bread and other baked goods was the first area we'd walk through, and I couldn't wait to see if Mom was going to buy some of those doughnuts, and when she did...oh boy, that's all I thought about until we were allowed to have them, usually on a Sunday morning, after breakfast.

I really miss that feeling, being so excited over such a common thing, and Sap's doesn't even exist any longer.

So today, in honor of Sap's, and in thanks for my dad having a weak spot for doughnuts, I am not having a long john, nor am I having a cream stick (as much as I like that name), I am having...a bismark!

Doughnut Sunday:

That's a 10" dinner plate, so you can get an idea of the scale. One's an apple fritter, the other is a cream-filled caramel long john.

The last time I posted a doughnut, JAS_OH1 referred to what I would call a long john as a cream stick - a name which I really like. However, this morning, completely unbidden, I suddenly remembered that we didn't call these rectangular, cream-filled bits of heaven either of those names when I was a kid.

They were generally labeled as bismarks, and it was one of the very, very few sweet treats Mom would splurge on, occasionally buying a sack of Sap's bismarks from the local IGA.

Thinking back, I can remember how excited I'd get, walking into the little grocery store (IGAs are small, locally-owned grocery stores and have all but disappeared, sadly), because the bread and other baked goods was the first area we'd walk through, and I couldn't wait to see if Mom was going to buy some of those doughnuts, and when she did...oh boy, that's all I thought about until we were allowed to have them, usually on a Sunday morning, after breakfast.

I really miss that feeling, being so excited over such a common thing, and Sap's doesn't even exist any longer.

So today, in honor of Sap's, and in thanks for my dad having a weak spot for doughnuts, I am not having a long john, nor am I having a cream stick (as much as I like that name), I am having...a bismark!

Long Johns and Apple Fritters are something I remember well from my youth. Either one would have me bouncing off the walls in a sugar high now. Probably did then, too.

I had a homemade McD's sausage McMuffin with egg and cheese this morning. No picture -- too hungry.

CD

I made a crabmeat omelet. I used fontina cheese and the mixture had lots of fresh herbs from the garden, plus bacon, mushroom, onion, and asparagus, with a small amount of diced roma tomato and red bell pepper. The fontina cheese can be a bit strong, so I balanced it out by covering the omelet in chopped green onion and more garden herbs (parsley and basil). It was really creamy and delicious!

I made a crabmeat omelet. I used fontina cheese and the mixture had lots of fresh herbs from the garden, plus bacon, mushroom, onion, and asparagus, with a small amount of diced roma tomato and red bell pepper. The fontina cheese can be a bit strong, so I balanced it out by covering the omelet in chopped green onion and more garden herbs (parsley and basil). It was really creamy and delicious!

View attachment 72028

View attachment 72027
View attachment 72029

Crab for breakfast! I really like that idea and your omelette looks lovely.

Crab for breakfast! I really like that idea and your omelette looks lovely.
Thank you!

Well I had to figure out a way to use up some of my leftover crabmeat while it's still fresh tasting! The problem is the crab comes in 1 lb. containers. Other seafood I have is frozen, and I can take out 4 shrimp and thaw them or the amount of fish and scallops I want to use for a recipe, but when I buy the crabmeat I have to use it all up within a few days since it does not come frozen. I keep it in the coldest part of my refrigerator where it's close to freezing (if I put a bottle of water in that spot it partially ices over) and so it still tastes very fresh. I think tomorrow I am going to make a spicy sriracha mayo mixture with it and use what's left in some seaweed wraps for lunch with cucumber, green onion, and wasabi/soy.

Doughnut Sunday:

View attachment 71962

We have always had IGAs here,independant grocers asscn. (Delivered by my neighbour older than me) delivering our groceries from a basket from his shop bike, like Granville’s bike. :)

Russ

Yeah, the eggs look meh and the gravy is unimpressive, too. The pancake is pretty, though, and the bacon looks nice and crisp.
That's about it. I've had worse, I've had better.

Little side story - this is the first diner my wife and I ate at when we moved back down here 17 years ago. That's the o my other time we've eaten here.

On that visit, we were sitting at our booth, when a man who looked to be at least 147 years old came in, and he very plainly had a pistol hanging out of each of his two jacket pockets. They'd sort of half fall out and he'd have to keep stuffing them back in his pockets.

My wife's reaction was, "Remind me again why we moved down here..." - she spent the whole meal waiting for him to drop a gun and have it go off, like in the movies. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom