Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I had more than that! That got me through about 3/4ths of the plate, but near the end, I had to go back and dowse it with a bit more.

...and I use about 1/2 of what my wife uses. She's from syrup country, and she goes through the stuff like Buddy The Elf. :laugh:

Wow.

I use about a tablespoon per pancake. Maybe less. I love the flavor - but don't want the sweetness at breakfast!

When it came time to take the picture, I just scooted them up to the left corner to make room for the plate. Took two seconds, if that.

Believe me, I don't take a lot of time at all to shoot pics of my food...it's cooling off and I want to eat! :)

I don't take too long either - but I prepare how and where I'm shooting it beforehand, work out how I'm going to plate it etc.

One of the reasons the photo works so well is the soft focus cranberries, pestle & mortar etc. in the background which gives depth of field. The fork is also a good touch - inviting us to dig in. I think you are intuitively a good photographer. Your framing is nearly always very good considering you aren't cropping the images post-production. I spent years teaching film students - and there is no doubt that when it came to camerawork there were some who were intuitively good. Not that skills can't be taught.

Wow.

I use about a tablespoon per pancake. Maybe less. I love the flavor - but don't want the sweetness at breakfast!
How does that even get your pancake wet? I can't eat a dry piece of pancake at all. I like to have my entire pancake wet with syrup, then more on the plate for dipping.

On a stack like that, I use about 1/2 cup. My wife uses closer to a cup. I know, because most days when we have pancakes, I heat the syrup (and sometimes flavor it with cinnamon, or maybe just butter), so I have to measure it out, and that stuff is worth its weight in gold, so there's no pouring it out if there's any leftover, so I've got it down to a science how much to heat up. :)

Also, we buy syrup by the gallon.

How does that even get your pancake wet? I can't eat a dry piece of pancake at all. I like to have my entire pancake wet with syrup, then more on the plate for dipping.

On a stack like that, I use about 1/2 cup. My wife uses closer to a cup. I know, because most days when we have pancakes, I heat the syrup (and sometimes flavor it with cinnamon, or maybe just butter), so I have to measure it out, and that stuff is worth its weight in gold, so there's no pouring it out if there's any leftover, so I've got it down to a science how much to heat up. :)

Also, we buy syrup by the gallon.

I use lots of butter and let the butter melt in on top and within the stack. I don't like them dry, either. But certainly not that wet.

I buy maple syrup by the pint, or even, half-pint.

Will be tapping my own trees this winter - 5 or 6 trees should probably give me a good half gallon, much of which I'll give as gifts. (If successful, I'll scale up in future years.

I don't take too long either - but I prepare how and where I'm shooting it beforehand, work out how I'm going to plate it etc.

One of the reasons the photo works so well is the soft focus cranberries, pestle & mortar etc. in the background which gives depth of field. The fork is also a good touch - inviting us to dig in. I think you are intuitively a good photographer. Your framing is nearly always very good considering you aren't cropping the images post-production. I spent years teaching film students - and there is no doubt that when it came to camerawork there were some who were intuitively good. Not that skills can't be taught.
Thank you very much, truly. Indeed, that picture is not cropped. That's how that area is set up all the time.

The soft focus is due entirely to the portrait setting on my phone. Open the camera, click "portrait" and then shoot. I don't do any special focusing or adjusting that light slider thingy or anything like that. I take one "long" picture like that one, and sometimes one straight down of just the plate, and use whichever one I like. I also select the magic wand auto-enhance doohickey, and that's that.

Sometimes, if I know I'm making something that I want to look good, like a big plate of ravioli, earlier in the day, I might go out on google and look at a slew of images of plated ravioli, just to see if there's some novel way of doing that, but it usually comes down to one of those two shots. Notice I rarely shoot pics of food in serving dishes - that's because with just two of us, we usually just plate right from the pots and pans on the stove. :)

I use lots of butter and let the butter melt in on top and within the stack. I don't like them dry, either. But certainly not that wet.

I buy maple syrup by the pint, or even, half-pint.

Will be tapping my own trees this winter - 5 or 6 trees should probably give me a good half gallon, much of which I'll give as gifts. (If successful, I'll scale up in future years.
I have a couple of 8oz jars of syrup in the cupboard, but those are my emergency syrups for when I forget to order my gallon jug. We also use syrup in oatmeal and cream of wheat.

My wife butters each pancake individually and probably uses a tablespoon per pancake. I just dump a tablespoon on top of the stack and that's that, since there's probably butter in the syrup anyway.

She used to help her dad tap trees and make syrup. When they moved out of town, the property they bought had been used for sugaring and still had the sugar house, in good repair, and 12 or so acres of sugaring maples, so they made syrup for a few years, then hired someone else to do it for a share of the syrup.

I have a couple of 8oz jars of syrup in the cupboard, but those are my emergency syrups for when I forget to order my gallon jug. We also use syrup in oatmeal and cream of wheat.

My wife butters each pancake individually and probably uses a tablespoon per pancake. I just dump a tablespoon on top of the stack and that's that, since there's probably butter in the syrup anyway.

She used to help her dad tap trees and make syrup. When they moved out of town, the property they bought had been used for sugaring and still had the sugar house, in good repair, and 12 or so acres of sugaring maples, so they made syrup for a few years, then hired someone else to do it for a share of the syrup.

In maple syrup, there should just be maple syrup, no additives such as butter? Correct?

Fascinating that your wife helped tap trees, that's cool. I can't wait for March here!

Thank you very much, truly. Indeed, that picture is not cropped. That's how that area is set up all the time.

The soft focus is due entirely to the portrait setting on my phone. Open the camera, click "portrait" and then shoot. I don't do any special focusing or adjusting that light slider thingy or anything like that. I take one "long" picture like that one, and sometimes one straight down of just the plate, and use whichever one I like. I also select the magic wand auto-enhance doohickey, and that's that.

Sometimes, if I know I'm making something that I want to look good, like a big plate of ravioli, earlier in the day, I might go out on google and look at a slew of images of plated ravioli, just to see if there's some novel way of doing that, but it usually comes down to one of those two shots. Notice I rarely shoot pics of food in serving dishes - that's because with just two of us, we usually just plate right from the pots and pans on the stove. :)

Definitely an idea that I should have considered, but will now do (googling plating of something I'm making, before snapping the shot). My shot of my cranberry beverage would have been better had I thought of scattering a few berries around. (Since I am making another batch for Second Thanksgiving, tomorrow, I'll consider re-shooting, if I have time.)

What phone do you use? I'm Samsung Android. (Although I tend to use my real camera for home photography.)

In maple syrup, there should just be maple syrup, no additives such as butter? Correct?

Fascinating that your wife helped tap trees, that's cool. I can't wait for March here!

Yeah, maple syrup is just maple syrup. I'll sometimes warm it and flavor it just before eating, so I can't pour it back in the bottle.

What phone do you use? I'm Samsung Android. (Although I tend to use my real camera for home photography.)
I have an iPhone XR.

Nothing spectacular, just French toast and maple sausage.

The bread is some of the last bread I made, with buttermilk and molasses in, so it's got a little richness to it. I used up the last of some egg substitute that was about to go off, along with a proper egg, for the batter, and a little pumpkin pie spice just because I have a big jar and it'll take me years to use it.

The wife likes the maple sausage, but I don't care for it much, kind of bland and sweet at the same time.

Nothing spectacular, just French toast and maple sausage.

The bread is some of the last bread I made, with buttermilk and molasses in, so it's got a little richness to it. I used up the last of some egg substitute that was about to go off, along with a proper egg, for the batter, and a little pumpkin pie spice just because I have a big jar and it'll take me years to use it.

The wife likes the maple sausage, but I don't care for it much, kind of bland and sweet at the same time.

So maple sausage is made from....?

So maple sausage is made from....?
It's a bulk sausage, made from pork, with maple syrup added.

It's extremely common here to put syrup on sausage patties, so much so that if you're in a diner and order a breakfast that includes sausage patties, it'll be brought out with syrup on the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom