Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scrambled egg on toast with chives and chilli flakes:

Why does everyone's scrambled egg look overcooked to me? I really must post a decent photo of how mine looks - which will probably look undercooked to everyone else! Tomorrow...

Most Mercans like there eggs scrambled firm. A little browning is even okay.

I make mine a bit looser. I stir constantly, and plate them a little before they are done to my taste, and they continue to cook on the plate. They are not "runny," just moist and fluffy.

CD

Most Mercans like there eggs scrambled firm. A little browning is even okay.

I make mine a bit looser. I stir constantly, and plate them a little before they are done to my taste, and they continue to cook on the plate. They are not "runny," just moist and fluffy.

CD

Same , I should take a pic but it's a fine line between just cooked and overdone. I get mine to wife's satisfaction. Same with bacon, it needs to be crispy! It's a balancing act getting it right, along with wife's hot chocolate as well.

Russ

Regarding scrambled eggs, here's a 39-second video of Emeril Legasse making some. Noting the texture at the end, as he's plating the eggs, I'd say that's a good example of what scrambled eggs here in the US typically look like, more or less:

View: https://youtu.be/-PdUpGFYcXA

Regarding scrambled eggs, here's a 39-second video of Emeril Legasse making some. Noting the texture at the end, as he's plating the eggs, I'd say that's a good example of what scrambled eggs here in the US typically look like, more or less:

View: https://youtu.be/-PdUpGFYcXA

That is not my idea of scrambled eggs. They are much too set. This isn't simply a question of a difference in appearance and texture. Eggs as set as this taste quite different from loose fluffy curds. Set egg is going to taste more like the exterior an omelette (I make omelettes with a slightly soft loose middle).

I also wouldn't usually add cream, only butter. Sometimes neither, just a splash of milk.

I also wouldn't usually add cream, only butter. Sometimes neither, just a splash of milk.
When I first started making scrambled eggs, I used a splash of milk, because that's what my mother does.

Then, somewhere along the way, I read that French cooks use full cream, and hey, who knows better than the French, right? So I used cream for a while.

A few years after that, I read that sour cream was a better choice, and there was some science behind it, in that the usual dairy could make eggs tough, but whatever the souring process is that sour cream goes through prevents this, so I started using sour cream.

Finally, I read something else that said, "Scrambled eggs are all about the eggs. No water. No milk. No cream. No sour cream. Just eggs, salt, pepper. That's it."

So now I do that! :)

When I first started making scrambled eggs, I used a splash of milk, because that's what my mother does.

Then, somewhere along the way, I read that French cooks use full cream, and hey, who knows better than the French, right? So I used cream for a while.

A few years after that, I read that sour cream was a better choice, and there was some science behind it, in that the usual dairy could make eggs tough, but whatever the souring process is that sour cream goes through prevents this, so I started using sour cream.

Finally, I read something else that said, "Scrambled eggs are all about the eggs. No water. No milk. No cream. No sour cream. Just eggs, salt, pepper. That's it."

So now I do that! :)
And butter. Don't forget the butter. Lots of it.

And butter. Don't forget the butter. Lots of it.
Absolutely. That goes in the pan. I was laughing a bit to myself because I made omelettes this morning, and I can tolerate a lot of butter, but my wife, not so much.

When I slid hers out onto the plate, a lovely golden pool of melted butter and olive oil came out with it, which I thought was quite nice, really, but I knew she'd complain. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom