Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is rather strange - there are what looks like boiled, buttered new potatoes on that plate - something I've never seen on an English breakfast.
It's the American influence. Someone there heard that Americans usually have some kind of potatoes with a cooked breakfast. They just failed to realize they're usually fried. :wink:

Don't worry...it another five years, it'll come with a bowl of Trix cereal. :laugh:

If I were going to make a substitution, it would be for the baked beans. I just can't wrap my head around baked beans for breakfast. :scratchhead:

CD
I would swap out the potatoes and replace with black pudding - nothing like a little congealed pigs blood for breakfast :)

It has been a surprise for ne as well, never seen potatoes on an English breakfast. I’ve eaten them anyway for politeness 😆
Fried bread = the only acceptable carbohydrate on an English Breakfast plate. You were too polite! :)

That is rather strange - there are what looks like boiled, buttered new potatoes on that plate - something I've never seen on an English breakfast.
Seems strange

If I were going to make a substitution, it would be for the baked beans. I just can't wrap my head around baked beans for breakfast. :scratchhead:

CD
In my opinion an English BF has to have Baked beans, and where is the black pudding.

Avocado and roasted tomatoes on toast for my wife, without toast for me.

I got all that produce the other day, and I've been trying to find ways to use up the greens (arugula, mixed greens, kale, and spinach), so I was delighted to find a recipe for breakfast burritos, from Cooking Light, that bumped up the healthy profile by including arugula.

The recipe called for cooking spray...I used olive oil and bacon fat. It called for skipping the cheese...I used cheddar. It called for turkey bacon...I used pork bacon, then realized I had two sausage patties that needed to go, so I included those (and ended up just eating the bacon while I was making the burritos), so I knocked the healthy bits in the teeth for this one. :laugh:

The one thing that survived was including the arugula, which earned me this comment after MrsT took her first bite:

"Why in the hell is there SALAD IN MY DAMN BURRITO?!" :laugh:

Dig these crazy waffles:

I had to get them in the light to show how fragile they are.

Now, I've made thousands of waffles, and I almost always just pop on the internet and google something like "buttermilk waffles," or some variation for what I want, which means I rarely use the same recipe twice. Alternately, if I feel like a little work, I'll go through my cookbooks and find some really involved recipe, with beaten egg whites folded in, that kind of thing.

Today's was from an internet recipe. Most waffle batters I'm familiar with range from fairly thick to extremely thick, and as I read (and re-read) the ingredients, I kept thinking, "This is going to be a very thin batter..."

Putting it together, I thought the same thing...1-3/4 cups flour...2 cups buttermilk...1/2 cup butter...this is like crepe batter.

Sure enough, I mixed it up, and it was quite watery, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I poured it in the hot iron.

It immediately sizzled and bubbled up, before I could even finish pouring it and getting the iron closed, and when they were finished, they were really delicate, which just enough body to hold them together.

"Well, I guess it'll be eggs for breakfast..."

I handed one to MrsT to try and I told her not to expect much. After a couple of bites:

"Oh my god...these are...FANTASTIC!"

I tried one, and she was right. Exceedingly light and crispy on the outside, but the little bit of insides that stayed intact?...soft like custard. But it was definitely the exterior that was the star.

How is the low carb diet going mate ?
To be honest BB, it's effectiveness is waning. Over the summer, and then on holiday it was quite easy to eat little and light. Having returned to autumnal weather I have wondered off course a few times, plus my exercise regime is suffering with the lack of an outdoor swimming pool. Need to get my act together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom