Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think biscuits and gravy must have the largest gap in the "looks disgusting, tastes fantastic" category.

I was very, very pleased with the biscuits. I can struggle with those, and it's another thing that appears so simple, yet one thing goes wrong, and they're ruined. These started out looking like they were headed for disaster, but they came out wonderfully tender and flaky. Better yet - it's a three-ingredient recipe (self-rising flour, butter, and buttermilk), so there's not a lot to throwing them together at the last minute.
Is that corned beef?

Is that corned beef?
No, it's that really cheap Budding dried beef, comes in those little plastic packets in the lunch meat aisle.

That's a concession for my wife's tastes. She never grew up with biscuits and gravy, never had them until she met me, but where she's from, people eat chipped beef on toast (I know, right?), so the compromise is chipped beef biscuits and gravy. I guess that makes it fusion food. :laugh:

Up here in NE OH they eat creamed chipped beef or creamed chipped corned beef on toast (they call it SOS). Where I come from, SOS is cream of mushroom soup with canned tuna or canned chicken and garden peas over toast. And we do sausage gravy with biscuits back home, and that's what I do here. I am cooking, eat what I cook or eat something else. But nice of you to compromise. Did you ever just sneak it in on her, the sausage gravy instead of the chipped beef? I bet she would like it.

Up here in NE OH they eat creamed chipped beef or creamed chipped corned beef on toast (they call it SOS). Where I come from, SOS is cream of mushroom soup with canned tuna or canned chicken and garden peas over toast. And we do sausage gravy with biscuits back home, and that's what I do here. I am cooking, eat what I cook or eat something else. But nice of you to compromise. Did you ever just sneak it in on her, the sausage gravy instead of the chipped beef? I bet she would like it.
Sausage gravy is what we have here in all the diners, so she's had it. I don't care for it, either. Personally, I like my gravy meat-free (not counting the bacon grease, of course) and my meat on the side. When I make it for myself, that's what I do, but sausage gravy is definitely the norm here.

Sausage gravy is what we have here in all the diners, so she's had it. I don't care for it, either. Personally, I like my gravy meat-free (not counting the bacon grease, of course) and my meat on the side. When I make it for myself, that's what I do, but sausage gravy is definitely the norm here.
Well no surprise, you are in Cinci-tucky.

I like my sausage very well rendered and the sausage to be in very fine pieces in my gravy. I don't use bacon grease in mine, I use the sausage grease. I don't like the stuff served in the diners, I like how my grandma made it and how I make it, which is so much better.

Did you know that some of the diners don't make it from scratch and they pour it out of a can? Ew.

Well no surprise, you are in Cinci-tucky.

I like my sausage very well rendered and the sausage to be in very fine pieces in my gravy. I don't use bacon grease in mine, I use the sausage grease. I don't like the stuff served in the diners, I like how my grandma made it and how I make it, which is so much better.

Did you know that some of the diners don't make it from scratch and they pour it out of a can? Ew.
I grew up just a few miles outside of Hamilton, which is locally almost always referred to as Hamiltucky.

And nothing a diner does would surprise me. They're in it for the money.

No, it's that really cheap Budding dried beef, comes in those little plastic packets in the lunch meat aisle.

That's a concession for my wife's tastes. She never grew up with biscuits and gravy, never had them until she met me, but where she's from, people eat chipped beef on toast (I know, right?), so the compromise is chipped beef biscuits and gravy. I guess that makes it fusion food. :laugh:

Ah, when I saw the photo, I thought, "That looks like SOS." Oh, for those not from here, SOS is another term for cream chipped beef. Look it up. :whistling:

BTW, I haven't had Buddig deli meats since I was a kid.

CD

Ah, when I saw the photo, I thought, "That looks like SOS." Oh, for those not from here, SOS is another term for cream chipped beef. Look it up. :whistling:

BTW, I haven't had Buddig deli meats since I was a kid.

CD
You know what? Thinking about it, I never saw ma eat any of it. So. Now I think anything she would feed us that she didnt like herself was shoot on a shingle.

We are moving today, so 90% of everything is packed. I cooked outside on the electric grill with food left in the freezer. Turkey schnitzel, Turkey sausage and chickens eggs. I was pissed because Marina had packed my HP sauce.

We are moving today, so 90% of everything is packed. I cooked outside on the electric grill with food left in the freezer. Turkey schnitzel, Turkey sausage and chickens eggs. I was pissed because Marina had packed my HP sauce.View attachment 42662

Nice looking eggs. I hope all goes well with your move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom