Show us your fridge!

You’ll have to tell us what’s in those containers!
More than happy to :D So the bottom shelf has:
- Large blue container: chicken marinating (for chicken cafriela)
The others have leftovers: spaghetti, roasted sea bream and roasted potatoes

Middle shelf has:
- The colorful containers have soup, refrigerated in individual portions
- The white container has homemade yogurt
- The small blue container has jell-o

I don't have much in the way of veg at the moment but shopping is usually done on a Friday or Saturday and i cooked quite a bit today (12 portions: 6 to eat & 6 to freeze)

But I'll also own up there's another much emptier fridge freezer in the garage of exactly the same size as this one (long story but the new one was basically a freebie and I prefer the salad drawer and bottom shelf of the old one... the ventilation is better and veg doesn't sweat as much).

20230308_204045.jpg
20230308_204039.jpg
20230308_204018.jpg

I don't have much in the way of veg at the moment but shopping is usually done on a Friday or Saturday and i cooked quite a bit today (12 portions: 6 to eat & 6 to freeze)

But I'll also own up there's another much emptier fridge freezer in the garage of exactly the same size as this one (long story but the new one was basically a freebie and I prefer the salad drawer and bottom shelf of the old one... the ventilation is better and veg doesn't sweat as much).

View attachment 97005View attachment 97006View attachment 97007
I'm curious, is it standard in Australia to keep meds in the fridge? Here in Portugal the only meds we keep in the fridge are vaccines or insulin.

Also how long do those vegetables stay fresh in the fridge? I never seen anyone use a cloth on the vegetable drawer, but that seems clever and easy enough. I've been using the Tupperware ventsmart line (fridgesmart in some countries) which does an awesome job at keeping almost any vegetable fresh for 3/4 weeks, but the cloth trick seems easy and it's definitely cheaper.

I'm curious, is it standard in Australia to keep meds in the fridge? Here in Portugal the only meds we keep in the fridge are vaccines or insulin.

Also how long do those vegetables stay fresh in the fridge? I never seen anyone use a cloth on the vegetable drawer, but that seems clever and easy enough. I've been using the Tupperware ventsmart line (fridgesmart in some countries) which does an awesome job at keeping almost any vegetable fresh for 3/4 weeks, but the cloth trick seems easy and it's definitely cheaper.
There are more meds that need refrigeration than that, you might just not know about them. I have a topical steroid (skin cream) that I need to keep in the fridge. If I had had another condition that was ruled out thankfully, I would have had to keep a whole arsenal in the fridge.
I think SatNavSaysStraightOn has quite a few conditions that might require refgrigerated meds.

There are more meds that need refrigeration than that, you might just not know about them. I have a topical steroid (skin cream) that I need to keep in the fridge. If I had had another condition that was ruled out thankfully, I would have had to keep a whole arsenal in the fridge.
I think SatNavSaysStraightOn has quite a few conditions that might require refgrigerated meds.
I think I see some meds in the pic that I have at home and don't keep in the fridge (like Nurofen and Optrex).

I think I see some meds in the pic that I have at home and don't keep in the fridge (like Nurofen and Optrex).
Oh alright, I don't know those personally. Maybe Satnav can explain. It might have to do with the weather conditions there?
The optrex is in the fridge because I find it more soothing cold, plus it stays fresher longer that way. The nurofen is actually for the chickens and we get through that little of it (and low dose aspirin) that I store it in the fridge. Others include my emergency steroid injection kit, hubby's thyroxine meds, my liquid morphine and anything that says store cool or below 25°C. Certainly much more is kept in the fridge in Australia than the UK because of summertime temperatures reaching 44°C (that's the maximum I've recorded at my home, but there are areas where it is routinely hotter than that). Plus in the winter it can drop to -15°C and it keeps the liquid meds from freezing in an unheated uninsulated house!

My old fridge had a ventilated salad drawer that stopped veg from sweating. It worked really well. I don't like this new one because I'm often finding water at the bottom of the salad drawer which the veg end up sitting in. I know the rest of the world would put kitchen paper down and through it out when wet, but that's not me and that's not environmentally friendly either, so I use tea towels and just wash them. My old salad drawer kept veg much fresher for much longer. I've moved the ethylene absorbers over from the old drawer to the new one to keep things fresher but in still struggling to get the veg fresh for longer. The old one I could put stuff in there and come back to it 2 weeks later and it would still look like a bought it yesterday. This new one is better with the tea towels in the bottom but you'll still see some aging on the veg. Without the tea towels the veg would have gone bad in that same time frame. I've actually started putting the fresh veg in the other fridge again and only keeping the munching/snack stuff in the kitchen fridge.

I must take some measurements and see if I can move the salad drawers and bottom shelf over. I don't like having the veg in the garage because it gets forgotten.

The optrex is in the fridge because I find it more soothing cold, plus it stays fresher longer that way. The nurofen is actually for the chickens and we get through that little of it (and low dose aspirin) that I store it in the fridge. Others include my emergency steroid injection kit, hubby's thyroxine meds, my liquid morphine and anything that says store cool or below 25°C. Certainly much more is kept in the fridge in Australia than the UK because of summertime temperatures reaching 44°C (that's the maximum I've recorded at my home, but there are areas where it is routinely hotter than that). Plus in the winter it can drop to -15°C and it keeps the liquid meds from freezing in an unheated uninsulated house!

My old fridge had a ventilated salad drawer that stopped veg from sweating. It worked really well. I don't like this new one because I'm often finding water at the bottom of the salad drawer which the veg end up sitting in. I know the rest of the world would put kitchen paper down and through it out when wet, but that's not me and that's not environmentally friendly either, so I use tea towels and just wash them. My old salad drawer kept veg much fresher for much longer. I've moved the ethylene absorbers over from the old drawer to the new one to keep things fresher but in still struggling to get the veg fresh for longer. The old one I could put stuff in there and come back to it 2 weeks later and it would still look like a bought it yesterday. This new one is better with the tea towels in the bottom but you'll still see some aging on the veg. Without the tea towels the veg would have gone bad in that same time frame. I've actually started putting the fresh veg in the other fridge again and only keeping the munching/snack stuff in the kitchen fridge.

I must take some measurements and see if I can move the salad drawers and bottom shelf over. I don't like having the veg in the garage because it gets forgotten.
I'm with you re not using paper towels, I don't even have that in my house anymore (or paper napkins, or paper tissues). I am happy with the Tupperware ventsmart but they are expensive. But they can keep vegs fresh for 3/4 weeks. I'm actually buying more fresh veg now that I have these containers as I know the vegetables won't spoil so easily, where as I used to buy almost exclusively frozen vegetables. I also have a large, generic brand container that has a plastic grid at the bottom, that I use to store lettuce and makes a wonderful job of keeping lettuce fresh for over 2 weeks. It looks somehwat like this:
0405400.png

that is just too neat and organized. There's something wrong with you. :o_o:

CD

The only stuff that's organised in our fridge is the beer. And if we have two bottles of milk, my wife proceeds to spoil that!

The freezer is a different matter.

Back
Top Bottom