Show us your fridge!

I originally posted this in a different topic, but here's mine:

I was just comparing to the HP sauce bottle. They don't look much bigger. And noting the fact that you could fit one bottle behind another (which I can't do in my fridges).
That bottom door tray, it's pretty deep. It's sized to hold a gallon container of milk, so I can get quite a bit in there.

I'm not too worried about anything starting to grow - it takes several days (and nights) of constant above 38C temp and at night at least we usually drop to the 25-29C range in the hottest part of summer. But I'd rather not risk the wrong things growing. However, I don't wash my shells so there is little chance of that. I'd rather not remove the final bloom that a hen puts on an egg to stop it going bad naturally. I keep all of my areas very clean so chooks can't walk chook shoot over the eggs. I run a deep mulch system in all of my chook areas. It is really effective at keeping things clean if turned every 2 weeks or so.

And in the winter, they are in the fridge to stop them freezing (we can drop to -10C/14F and if the water is freezing over inside the chook house then the eggs can be freezing as well) which then breaks the shells... you can't win really!

Yes. When too hot out I store them in the fridge (no central air here yet). In cold weather, I'm collecting eggs and storing them on my counter. I don't wash the bloom off. If I do get dirty eggs... well, that's different and when I have cockerels here, they get scrambled eggs. In winter I will sometimes go out and see cracked eggs - if hairline and clean, I eat them immediately in omelets, well-cooked omelets. Most of the eggs end up being very clean, and yes, I prefer not to remove the protective "bloom" - they'll get washed at point of use.

PS: "Chook shoot" - great descriptive term!!!

I'll have to check back next month when my new fridge/freezer arrives (hopefully). Since I am not keeping the old one, I am not doing as much to keep it neat and clean.

Now, I just need to keep the old one working (mostly) for another month.

CD

Crikey! Seeing photos of everyone's fridges has brought home that:
1. We can get twice as much stuff into our fridge.
2. We can never find stuff in our fridge because it has too much in it.

We have daughter and mr7 here for a while, I gave them two bottom trays in fridge, they've taken over the whole thing. If I can't find in 10 secs, someone has to go looking. I threw out about 10 containers last night when daughter was away for the night.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom