Show us your fridge!

Yes, a good burger is a mix of hot elements and cold. I like my lettuce (grass), tomatoes and pickles cold, and my meat and cheese hot. I don't use ketchup.

CD
Did someone say "McDLT?"

Yes, a good burger is a mix of hot elements and cold. I like my lettuce (grass), tomatoes and pickles cold, and my meat and cheese hot. I don't use ketchup.

CD
To each their own. I like the lettuce crisp, but cold tomatoes are an abomination, IMO. After I pick them from the garden or even after buying them in winter, they NEVER go in the refrigerator, they sit looking pretty in an ornate dish on my kitchen counter.

When we lived in Port Arthur, another "tropical" environment, we had a second fridge in the laundry room, and mom kept dry goods like flour and cornmeal in there. The issue wasn't ants, it was bugs that would lay eggs in the dry goods. "Hey mom, is this cornmeal supposed to be moving?" :eek:

CD
I remember weevils in the cereal. My mom suggested picking them out, lol. No way. Now I realize we ingest a certain amount of bugs unwittingly in our food. I believe the eggs were already in the cereal when it was packaged. Anyway, I don't like cereal much as an adult, even though when the stepkids were young I didn't see bugs in theirs.

Last edited:
I remember weevils in the cereal. My mom suggested picking them out, lol. No way. Now I realize we ingest a certain amount of bugs unwittingly in our food. I believe the eggs were already in the cereal when it was packaged. Anyway, I don't like cereal much as an adult,, even though when the stepkids were young I didn't see bugs in theirs.
When we lived in San Antonio, we used to get bugs and ants in everything.

When we first moved there, we got an intro briefing about the area (standard military practice) and one of the things we were told was, "Get containers for all your dry goods and unbox and repack them as soon as you get home from the store."

Me: Seriously? That must be for people with poor cleaning habits. I'm not doing that!

Also me, 10 days later, at the container store: Yeah, I need four cereal containers, two flour containers, a sugar container...

:laugh:

When we lived in San Antonio, we used to get bugs and ants in everything.

When we first moved there, we got an intro briefing about the area (standard military practice) and one of the things we were told was, "Get containers for all your dry goods and unbox and repack them as soon as you get home from the store."

Me: Seriously? That must be for people with poor cleaning habits. I'm not doing that!

Also me, 10 days later, at the container store: Yeah, I need four cereal containers, two flour containers, a sugar container...

:laugh:
Yes, sad but true.

Fire Ants are redish-brown in color. They are not large, but they are very aggressive. If you step in them, they attack. Within seconds, you have dozens of bites. The bites hurt at first, and then itch later. Some people have such a harsh reaction, they need to run for an EpiPen. For me, my foot turns red and swells up, but a heavy slather of Benadryl gel (topical antihistamine) works.

CD
And baking soda. And calamine lotion.

When I was about 4 years old, they were doing construction in the lot next door. There was a plywood board lying flat. My friend and I were playing in the lot and I picked up the board. There was a mound of fire ants underneath. I was covered in ants and I ran home screaming. My mother filled up the bathtub and poured a box of baking soda in it. I remember the ants floating in the tub. After she dried me off, she slathered calamine lotion all over me and I had welts for several days. If I would have had an allergic reaction to bites I would gone into anaphylactic shock and I wouldn't be here most likely.

It was worse than having chicken pox, which I endured as a teenager.

The little thingy on top with the fork & knife looks like a monster waiting to devour some food. Hah!! Where did you get it? Cute!!
It was a gift from my brother for my birthday one year. I have no idea where he found it - but I love the thing - and yes, it does look like a monster!

When we lived in Port Arthur, another "tropical" environment, we had a second fridge in the laundry room, and mom kept dry goods like flour and cornmeal in there. The issue wasn't ants, it was bugs that would lay eggs in the dry goods. "Hey mom, is this cornmeal supposed to be moving?" :eek:

CD
for most coarse ground grains, the bug eggs will survive.
halfway into a six Appalachian trail hike,,,, discovered 'weevils' in the backpacked grain(s).
yup, we ate it - chalked it off to 'extra protein'

an initial and/or long term,,, freezing coarse ground grains usually kills the eggs.

Why, is there something in your frig you don't want us to see? As long as it's nothing too awful, oh, you know, like a human head or something, I am sure we can handle it :laugh:
I'm betting it looks like my mom's, and hers looks like it was half-filled, shaken violently, then crammed full with everything else...and my mom doesn't cook anymore! :laugh:

I'm betting it looks like my mom's, and hers looks like it was half-filled, shaken violently, then crammed full with everything else...and my mom doesn't cook anymore! :laugh:
Oh, I remember stories about your mother's refrigerator, like finding a mostly rotten pepper and wanting to throw it out, only to have her retrieve it and cut the 20% part out that wasn't rotten to use it for something...was that you or someone else?

for most coarse ground grains, the bug eggs will survive.
halfway into a six Appalachian trail hike,,,, discovered 'weevils' in the backpacked grain(s).
yup, we ate it - chalked it off to 'extra protein'

an initial and/or long term,,, freezing coarse ground grains usually kills the eggs.
Every winter, I take all my grains out on the front porch (mostly packed in plastic or glass long term containers) and let them sit out there when the temps are reliably forecast to be well below freezing for 3-4 days. Bugs and their eggs die. If I get a grain product after that period of winter, I store them in the freezer for at least a week (won't be as cold in there). Space is more limited in the freezer, so not everything would go in there at once.

who has a tool to blur the whole center of a pix?
The graphics program I usually use has that ability. Unfortunately, PaintShop Pro is a discontinued product, so I can't send you that (and probably couldn't anyway), but if you want to e-mail me an image, I can take care of it here, and send it back. Assuming you don't mind me seeing it. Message me if desired.

Back
Top Bottom