Show us your fridge!

That may have been why my mom always kept opened bottles and jars in the refrigerator. I lived in Florida, which is a bug-heavy environment. We get ants here in Ohio, but they have never gotten into my pantry, thankfully.

When we lived in Port Arthur, another "tropical" environment, we had a second fridge in the laundry room, and mom kept dry goods like flour and cornmeal in there. The issue wasn't ants, it was bugs that would lay eggs in the dry goods. "Hey mom, is this cornmeal supposed to be moving?" :eek:

CD

This is how my herbs and spices are distributed.
Please don't ask me to explain why. Some are in the fridge because of the ants, others I've no idea why they are there.

This is how my herbs and spices are distributed.
Please don't ask me to explain why. Some are in the fridge because of the ants, others I've no idea why they are there.

Interesting. I wouldn't think that any kind of hot chili would have an ant problem. Insects won't touch the chilis I have growing in my yard.

BTW, do you have Fire Ants in Thailand? They are a big problem here. You step on a Fire Ant nest, you know it. The name is appropriate.

CD

BTW, do you have Fire Ants in Thailand? They are a big problem here. You step on a Fire Ant nest, you know it. The name is appropriate.

We have red ants but I don't believe that they are classified as "fire ants". Quite painful though if bitten by one (or more).

We have red ants but I don't believe that they are classified as "fire ants". Quite painful though if bitten by one (or more).

Fire Ants are redish-brown in color. They are not large, but they are very aggressive. If you step in them, they attack. Within seconds, you have dozens of bites. The bites hurt at first, and then itch later. Some people have such a harsh reaction, they need to run for an EpiPen. For me, my foot turns red and swells up, but a heavy slather of Benadryl gel (topical antihistamine) works.

CD

I've got the room in my refrigerator door for all of that. And hubby likes his condiments and preserved things chilled, so there's that...now I do like to take out mustard, ketchup, and pickles from the refrigerator for an hour before putting them on a burger to bring them to room temperature (not mayo of course) because if they are cold, the burger cools down too fast. That drives him crazy when I do that, even though I have pointed out that we aren't going to get sick from eating them at room temperature. He is convinced that bacteria is going to give us food poisoning. I have pointed out that at many restaurants they put ketchup and mustard bottles out on the tables and leave them there all day, but he said that's because they go through them in such large volume that they don't go bad. No arguing with him when he gets his mind set on something he believes to be true.

I do take the ketchup out of the fridge to allow it to reach room temperature (easier to pour). But other that that, and a fried egg (if included) every other addiion to a burger is cold. The buns (one side) are lightly toasted but not specifically to warm them.

I do take the ketchup out of the fridge to allow it to reach room temperature (easier to pour). But other that that, and a fried egg (if included) every other addiion to a burger is cold. The buns (one side) are lightly toasted but not specifically to warm them.

Yes, a good burger is a mix of hot elements and cold. I like my lettuce (grass), tomatoes and pickles cold, and my meat and cheese hot. I don't use ketchup.

CD

That may have been why my mom always kept opened bottles and jars in the refrigerator. I lived in Florida, which is a bug-heavy environment. We get ants here in Ohio, but they have never gotten into my pantry, thankfully.
Up until a certain age you can get away with eating a lot of crap, then your metabolism pulls a trick on you and it seems like you can gain weight by simply breathing.

Have you seen the size of my kitchen?
Don't do it, it's a domino effect - one day, you buy the American-sized fridge, next day, you're knocking out a wall to get an American-sized kitchen, and before you know it, you're living in a McMansion, driving a Hummer, and drinking a Big Gulp Coca-Cola. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom