Show us your fridge!

I was just reading about this a month or so ago, on one of those rabbit hole trips online.

No surprises, but things like ketchup, mustard, etc don't need to be refrigerated, but their shelf life is rather significantly increased if they are.

Ketchup, I don't go through it all that fast, so that can have some age on it, especially since I buy the big bottle of it. Mayonnaise, no problem there, as we do eat that quickly.

Mustard...we eat a lot of mustard, but we also have a lot of varieties, so it can take a while to get through a single jar of it.

I was just reading about this a month or so ago, on one of those rabbit hole trips online.

No surprises, but things like ketchup, mustard, etc don't need to be refrigerated, but their shelf life is rather significantly increased if they are.

Ketchup, I don't go through it all that fast, so that can have some age on it, especially since I buy the big bottle of it. Mayonnaise, no problem there, as we do eat that quickly.

Mustard...we eat a lot of mustard, but we also have a lot of varieties, so it can take a while to get through a single jar of it.
Mayonnaise? Take no chances.

Here's an interesting little blurb about mayonnaise from a reputable source:

Mayonnaise Spoilage Myths and Safety: Does Mayo Go Bad?
Yeah, I take no chances. My stepson likely ate spoiled mayonnaise once at a family party when he was about 13 and was pretty sick after. Vomiting, etc. The condiments were all sitting out on a table on a really hot day. A couple of other people at the party that ate mayonnaise on theirs also got sick. Maybe it was the turkey or cheese, but other people who had mustard only were fine. Or maybe it was a stomach virus, who knows. I won't take any chances, personally.

Oh, why not?

:laugh:

Are those condiments I spy in the door? :laugh:
Yes, I absolutely store my condiments in the fridge. And capers. And pickles and olives. :laugh:

Someone on another cooking forum once chastised me for keeping the maple syrup in there.

I figured someone would reply asking if I'm poor 😂 but no, thankfully I'm not, I'm just a girl who lives alone and I don't think I eat that much.
My frig looked very similar when I was young and lived alone. I went out to eat pretty regularly though. And I weighed about 30 pounds less back then!

We keep virtually every bottle/jar that's been opened in the fridge. Not necessarily to increase their shelf life but to keep them away from the ants.

We keep virtually every bottle/jar that's been opened in the fridge. Not necessarily to increase their shelf life but to keep them away from the ants.
That may have been why my mom always kept opened bottles and jars in the refrigerator. I lived in Florida, which is a bug-heavy environment. We get ants here in Ohio, but they have never gotten into my pantry, thankfully.

They are preserves so should not need to be in the fridge. I've yet to find either going bad in the last (gulp) 45 years. But its up to you of course.

In the US, almost all condiments, hot sauces, and even many pickled items say "Refrigerate After Opening" on the containers. It may not be necessary with many of those items, but I figure it won't hurt me to do it.

CD

I simply don't have fridge room for preserved things anyway. I've lots of (opened) mustards, olives in jars, capers, gherkins etc. They would probably fill most of my fridge.

You need a Mercan size refrigerator. :smug:

To be fair to my people over here, going for groceries for most of us is not a matter of walking to the butcher down the road, the baker around the corner, or green grocer a few blocks away. For me, it means getting in the car, parking with 200 other cars, walking through a 50,000 square-foot (plus) store, and checking out. Then driving home -- with 50,000 other cars at morning and evening rush hours.

Some cities, Like NYC and a few on the West Coast have neighborhood food suppliers, but that's about all.

So, we tend to buy more stuff, less often, making a big fridge, freezer and pantry rather important.

CD

Back
Top Bottom