Show us your fridge!

I leave butter out 24/7 mainly because when I want a sammich I need it then, not nuking in the microwave. We use a LOT of butter here. Store bought and home made Mayo is in the fridge too.

Russ

I don't put condiments in the fridge once opened - if its necessary than I must have been doing it wrong for the last 40 years! If I ever buy mayonnaise (very rarely) I do put that in the fridge - but only because its best served cold.

Virtually everything that's been opened goes in the fridge. Exceptions: salt, fish sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, honey. The heat, humidity and ants are the main reason.

I leave butter out 24/7 mainly because when I want a sammich I need it then, not nuking in the microwave. We use a LOT of butter here. Store bought and home made Mayo is in the fridge too.

Russ

I rarely, if ever, put butter on a sarnie. Maybe a little "Meadowlea" occasionally. Butter is reserved (in the fridge) for buttered chicken or prawns, garlic or parsley butter.

I rarely, if ever, put butter on a sarnie. Maybe a little "Meadowlea" occasionally. Butter is reserved (in the fridge) for buttered chicken or prawns, garlic or parsley butter.

We are big butter eaters here, grandkids as well, nothing better than fresh bread with generous amount of butter and folded to use as a scoop with stews etc.

Russ

Due to the heat in summer here, and the daily temperature range in autumn and spring, lots of things go into the fridge that I would never have even considered putting into the fridge before moving to Australia. Medication is one we have to keep a close eye on here. Lots of it does say not above 25°C and summer temps reach 42°C so we just store it in the fridge year round. The same with eggs. Summer temperatures are high enough that they will actually start to incubate without a mother chook sitting on them. In fact through the hottest part of the summer, it is actually too hot to incubate and hot enough to cook...

We have a split fridge freezer with the small freezer at the top capable of being a fridge if needed. That's a deep freeze (chest style) in the garage as well.

Due to ants, flies and just vegetable matter rotting very quickly, we keep a compost bin in the fridge. A couple of times a week, we walk out to the composter and add the pre-chopped veg waste. That's the big green box.

That is a lot of freezers you have.

What are the 'necessaries'? Curious...

I have half a pig, some sheep, places to store food I'm going to be putting up - mostly from my garden down the road. Winter will often be harsh hereabouts.

Necessaries (for cheese making): Lipase, Mesophilic starter, rennet (both animal and vegetable). No, you don't need everything for any type of cheese, but I got the kit for whatever desires may come my way.

Due to the heat in summer here, and the daily temperature range in autumn and spring, lots of things go into the fridge that I would never have even considered putting into the fridge before moving to Australia. Medication is one we have to keep a close eye on here. Lots of it does say not above 25°C and summer temps reach 42°C so we just store it in the fridge year round. The same with eggs. Summer temperatures are high enough that they will actually start to incubate without a mother chook sitting on them. In fact through the hottest part of the summer, it is actually too hot to incubate and hot enough to cook...

Yes, in August - I keep ALL my eggs in the fridge for that reason! We don't get quite as hot as you, but when things are approaching high 70's and up (Farhrenheit) all those eggs nestle into the fridge. I don't want anything growing in the eggs for eating! (This may also be the case in July, too.)

I have half a pig, some sheep

I love the casual way you mention that!

Necessaries (for cheese making): Lipase, Mesophilic starter, rennet (both animal and vegetable). No, you don't need everything for any type of cheese, but I got the kit for whatever desires may come my way.

The only cheese I've made is the easy one - from milk with lemon or vinegar added - so paneer really or a simple cottage cheese. Maybe a cheese-making thread would be good.

The only cheese I've made is the easy one - from milk with lemon or vinegar added - so paneer really or a simple cottage cheese. Maybe a cheese-making thread would be good.

I'd be ready to talk more about it once I have the chance actually to make some cheese! In about 3-4 weeks....?

Russ

I hardly ever eat sandwiches, and when I do, I'm diving into the Dijon mustard. So, actually since by the time I get to the last of the butter, even in the fridge, it is developing what passes for "butter rind" here.

Yes, in August - I keep ALL my eggs in the fridge for that reason! We don't get quite as hot as you, but when things are approaching high 70's and up (Farhrenheit) all those eggs nestle into the fridge. I don't want anything growing in the eggs for eating! (This may also be the case in July, too.)
I'm not too worried about anything starting to grow - it takes several days (and nights) of constant above 38C temp and at night at least we usually drop to the 25-29C range in the hottest part of summer. But I'd rather not risk the wrong things growing. However, I don't wash my shells so there is little chance of that. I'd rather not remove the final bloom that a hen puts on an egg to stop it going bad naturally. I keep all of my areas very clean so chooks can't walk chook shit over the eggs. I run a deep mulch system in all of my chook areas. It is really effective at keeping things clean if turned every 2 weeks or so.

And in the winter, they are in the fridge to stop them freezing (we can drop to -10C/14F and if the water is freezing over inside the chook house then the eggs can be freezing as well) which then breaks the shells... you can't win really!

Back
Top Bottom