Recipe Shrimp Puff Pastry Pies

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
10:06 AM
Every year we drive to the docks in Delcambre, La., about 30 miles from home. We buy fresh shrimp off of the shrimp boats. I remove the heads, weigh the tails to 1 lb. portions then freeze in zip bags with water. I took out the second to last pack out of the freezer today to make shrimp pies.

INGREDIENTS
1 Lb. shrimp/prawn tails
2 sheets frozen puff pastry dough
1 cup minced yellow/brown onion
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 TBSP butter
1 TBSP EVOO
1 TBSP APF
1 cup+ seafood stock (use chicken broth as an alternative)
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 TBSP sour cream or crème fraiche
1 bay leaf
1 TBSP fresh thyme leaves + more for garnish
1 egg
1 TBSP water
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1 smidgeon ground hot pepper
1/2 Tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

METHOD
  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F
  2. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
  3. Make egg wash - whisk 1 egg and 1 TBSP water
  4. Peel and devein the shrimp, pat dry, chop, toss with a generous amount of salt and black pepper. Set aside.
  5. In a heavy sauté, on medium heat melt the butter with the EVOO. When hot add the onions. Cook until tender, 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cook until just fragrant (30 - 60 seconds). Add the APF. Stir well. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Add bay leaf, thyme and 1/2 cup broth. The flour will seize and turn into a paste. Add more broth 1/4 cup at a time until you have a broth the consistency of heavy cream. Simmer for 2 or 3 minutes. Add Cream and sour cream, red pepper flakes and ground red pepper. Simmer to allow the flavors to incorporate and the liquid to reduce to a cream consistency (or a little heavier). Reduce heat to medium low. Add the shrimp. Cook until the shrimp just begin to turn pink. Remove from the heat. The shrimp will continue to cook in the pan and during the baking process. Do not cook the shrimp. There is nothing worse than overcooked seafood.
  6. If using frozen pastry sheets, gently roll to seal the folds. Cut 1 sheet into 9 uniform squares (3" x 3") Place the pastry on the sheet pan. Wet the edges of a square with water. Put a spoon of filling in the center of the square. Fold one corner over to create a triangle. Pinch the edges together. Crimp the edges with a fork. Use the tip of a knife to poke a hole in each pie. Brush with egg wash.
  7. Bake until the pastry is golden brown. 20 - 30 minutes.
  8. Garnish with fresh thyme
For a dinner pie for two use a whole sheet of pastry. Add shrimp filling to the center. Wet the edges with water. Fold one corner to another to form a triangle. Pinch the edges, crimp the edges with a fork. Poke 4 holes in the crust, brush with egg wash. Bake 25 - 30 minutes until crust is golden brown.

When I told George what I was making for dinner he made a face. My pies did not turn out pretty. George ate 1/2 of the dinner pie. Nearly licked his plate clean. He gave me a hug and said "Babe that may not have looked pretty but it tasted wonderful. Is there more?" I gave him one of the small pies and he scarfed it down.

Small pies.

Dinner Pie

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom