Since When Is Gin So Sweet ?

Termyn8or

Local time
3:39 AM
Last bottle I had was not, it was years ago. However I drink too much beer. It is not a matter of the alcohol, I could drink more and not get too out of it. It is the volume, the bulk of liquid, plus a friend of mine who knows things told me there is nasty stuff in there. For one formaldehyde. Well they put that in dead people so they will have to wait.

So looking for ways, maybe a shot now and then will slow down the beer consumption rate.

So I got a bottle of Jim Beam bourbon and a bottle of gin.

Years ago the kid brought me a bottle and didn't seem sweet much at all. In fact with the tonic I had at the time it was less sweet than I could stand.

So now I got the gin and new tonic, made a drink and it is WAY too sweet.

So, do I just get the soda water, old tonic or whatever and drink this ?

OR, MWAHAHAHAHA ! > Can you cook with gin ? If I use it up I'll just get some takilllya. (tequilla) I like lemon and salt and got GOOD salt sea salt, unrefined.

Hmm, cooking with gin.

T

What kind of Gin? I don't find Gin sweet, but then again I drink Rum and let's just say some rums have a surprising amount of added sugar. I digress...
Tonic water is actually a sugar bomb; the sugar is meant to balance the bitterness of the quinine. I've seen a few diet tonic water alternatives now and even a soda+tonic water mix. Try one of those and maybe a squeeze of lime to round out that Gin & Tonic.

Cooking with Gin, now that's a curious proposition...

I've cooked with liquor before, such as rum & bourbon, but I never cooked with gin. :eek:

I've only had gin once and that was doing the raisin soak. It tasted sweet to me but many things do because I don't consume much sugar as a general rule.

Also, our palates change as we age and foods/beverages can taste different than how we remember them. I still think beef liver and onions are evilness on a plate but I like almost all the foods I didn't like as a kid (I grew up where you ate what you were given so I choked it down but hated every minute of it).

Last bottle I had was not, it was years ago. However I drink too much beer. It is not a matter of the alcohol, I could drink more and not get too out of it. It is the volume, the bulk of liquid, plus a friend of mine who knows things told me there is nasty stuff in there. For one formaldehyde. Well they put that in dead people so they will have to wait.

So looking for ways, maybe a shot now and then will slow down the beer consumption rate.

So I got a bottle of Jim Beam bourbon and a bottle of gin.

Years ago the kid brought me a bottle and didn't seem sweet much at all. In fact with the tonic I had at the time it was less sweet than I could stand.

So now I got the gin and new tonic, made a drink and it is WAY too sweet.

So, do I just get the soda water, old tonic or whatever and drink this ?

OR, MWAHAHAHAHA ! > Can you cook with gin ? If I use it up I'll just get some takilllya. (tequilla) I like lemon and salt and got GOOD salt sea salt, unrefined.

Hmm, cooking with gin.

T

My drink of choice is coruba rum, but I'm currently drinking gin and water with lemon cubes in it. It's mainly for calories, my doc said to lose some weight, so fizzy is gone.
My wife was given a bottle of pink gin from Gordon's, it really is very smooth. I don't find it sweet compared to rum, that's sweet.

Russ

Did you know that Gin is flavored vodka?
My friend's recipe;

I found my recipe for gin (auto google translate):
For two litres of vodka I give:
1 teaspoon of juniper berries;
1/2 teaspoon of green cardamom;
1/2 teaspoon of crushed coriander seeds;
1/2 teaspoon orange peel;
1 short cinnamon stick;
1/2 teaspoon of bay leaves;
1/2 teaspoon of dried lavender flowers;
1/2 teaspoon of dried chamomile flowers;
a few peppercorns

Doesn't sound like anything sweet to me.

T

Which brand of Gin was it? I'm really curious now!

I'm wondering if it was the tonic water which made it taste sweet.

In the UK there has been for several years now a huge growth in independent distilleries producing all manner of gins. Some are distinctly on the sweet side. Here is an example of the sort of thing from a Cheshire distillery: Three Wrens Gin Distillery in Cheshire - Distillery Tours - Buy Gin Online

I only drink gin when it's in a mixed drink, such as a Long Island Iced Tea. Not by itself! :whistling:

I never touch the stuff, since I got an adulterated drink about 40 yrs ago. However, it´s all the rage these days. Alcohol and juniper berries.
In 19th century England it was known as "Mother´s Ruin" - 3d a pint.

Back
Top Bottom