Recipe Six Layer Caviar Dip

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
3:22 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com

I wanted to make something that used both fish eggs and chicken eggs…sort of a surf and turf. I did not invent the idea of using caviar in a dip, but I did take it in different directions from ones that I have seen.

Ingredients

3 eggs, hard boiled
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 cup pesto (I made mine from sweet basil, with Greek oregano and Thai basil from my garden)
1/2 cup pickled onions, chopped
1/2 cup pickled peppers, chopped
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons cream cheese
1/4 cup scallions, chopped
2 ounces caviar

Directons

1. Chop eggs and blend with mayonnaise. Spoon carefully into a good quality glass or ceramic bowl. This is what you will be using to serve the dip.

2. Spoon a layer of pickled onions over the top of the egg mixture. Chop additional onions if needed to make sure you are covering from edge to edge.

3. Spread a layer of pesto over the top of the onions. Spread a layer of peppers over the top of the pesto.

4. Blend sour cream, cream cheese, and scallions together. Spread in a layer over the top.

5. Carefully spoon the caviar to cover the top layer.

6. Serve with crackers.

7E38F27A-B5BC-4CA4-84B6-E36DA2AE260A.jpeg

I love the idea of layers here. I'd want something long to dip in to it so that I got a bit of a taste of each layer but maybe the idea is to 'eat your way down'.

Are these home-made red onions pickled? And is this 'real' caviar?

I love the idea of layers here. I'd want something long to dip in to it so that I got a bit of a taste of each layer but maybe the idea is to 'eat your way down'.

As I piled on the layers, I was reminded that such dips are sometimes layered so deeply that it's hard to get all the layers in the same bite.

And, I recall reading that fish roe is not caviar unless it comes from a sturgeon. But, this is what the packaging said on the jar I used:

0007020023000.jpg

So, I went with caviar in the name. Besides, it sounds better than Six Layer Lumpfish Dip.

And, yes: homemade picked onions (and pickled hatch peppers).

Layered dips are ver popular party food in the US. You generally keep the layers thin enough that a guest can spoon up all of the layers to put onto a single chip/crisp or cracker.

CD

Layered dips are ver popular party food in the US. You generally keep the layers thin enough that a guest can spoon up all of the layers to put onto a single chip/crisp or cracker.

CD

I found myself trying to make the layers thicker just to support the visual of the layers. If I were making a layered dip with sour cream, guacamole, salsa, and so on, I wouldn't have been too concerned about that. Speaking of which, I realized just now that this could have been a 7-layered dip: I forgot that I had guacamole. Well...time to scrape all the layers off and start over again!

Back
Top Bottom