Retro Recipe Slow-cooked Squid with Asparagus

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:01 PM
Here is a retro recipe from 1958. Although it is titled 'Casserole of Octopus', it is in fact a squid recipe as you will see from the recipe text. I pretty well followed it to the letter. It really was surprisingly good. Squid is subtle enough not to eclipse the delicate flavour of asparagus - but I'd like to make the soup from scratch next time. I think it might look prettier as well as tasting better.

Having said that, this is a good recipe and easy to do. I added some lightly cooked fresh asparagus tips at the end and served it with rice. The recipe suggests this serves 4 but I found it served 2 (and I don't serve large portions).

fullsizeoutput_307d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_306e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3070.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3074.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3076.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_307e.jpeg

Last edited:
I found 3 or 4 squid tubes when I was freezer diving Friday before going to the grocery. Might be a good use for those.

Wouldn't know. There are only 2 dishes I use canned soup in, my chile and a baked chicken dish. Otherwise, I make my own soups.

I've never cooked squid before. This dish intrigues me. I might have to try it next weekend

Never cooked squid? Well I must admit I don't like cooking quick fried squid - it always turns out rubbery for me! But slow cooked squid is another matter - lovely and tender.

Squid is cooked for 1 minute or at least 1 hour per many Italian cooks/chefs. Besides the bag of tubes I found, we have a box of tentacles and tubes that I use to make fried calamari or use in a seafood salad or stuff and braise. I like the tentacles the best. In fact, won't even order fried calamari out unless they come with tentacles.

Back
Top Bottom