Smoked salmon

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
4:45 AM
Finally finished building my cold smoker yesterday so felt the need to get cracking with some salmon smoking. Tesco's had an offer on wild Scottish salmon on Monday, so I had bought about half a side, dry cured it and dried it so it was ready for smoking - six hours over cherrywood chips. I am sure it was beginners luck, but the results were staggeringly good. I made a bit of a hash carving it but it tastes divine!
Home smoked salmon.jpg

Finally finished building my cold smoker yesterday so felt the need to get cracking with some salmon smoking. Tesco's had an offer on wild Scottish salmon on Monday, so I had bought about half a side, dry cured it and dried it so it was ready for smoking - six hours over cherrywood chips. I am sure it was beginners luck, but the results were staggeringly good. I made a bit of a hash carving it but it tastes divine!
View attachment 2760
Wonderful!

:thumbsup:
LOL too funny! I just got my smoker going this weekend too. (Didn't build it) but used it for the first time this season. also did some smoked salmon, along with baby back ribs and some turkey wings (I use them in place of ham hocks for soups and beans)

http://www.copymethat.com/r/CbKXZfj/smoked-meat/
Is that a hot smoker? I've not built a full sized one yet but look forward to hickory smoked ribs when i do

Last edited:
:thumbsup:
Is that a hot smoker? I've not built a full sized one yet but look forward to hickory smoked ribs when i do
what temp do you smoke at in your cold smoker? and how do you get the smoke to the meat? very curious!

what temp do you smoke at in your cold smoker? and how do you get the smoke to the meat? very curious!

The temp was around 17 deg C, but you can cold smoke up to 30 deg C. The cold smoker is basically a sealed box with a smouldering wood device in the bottom, the smoke being diffused up through racks of food. No heat involved, just smoke.

The temp was around 17 deg C, but you can cold smoke up to 30 deg C. The cold smoker is basically a sealed box with a smouldering wood device in the bottom, the smoke being diffused up through racks of food. No heat involved, just smoke.

Oh, Okay. I see. that is quite a bit cooler than what we do here at home. ours is about 200 to 225 F.

Back
Top Bottom