Sous vide recommendations

I got mine through AceMart, a restaurant supply store. They have a store not far from me, but I ordered online. They sent the wrong size, and when I called them, they sent the right size, and told me to keep the wrong one, which I actually use quite a bit. Bonus!

You would love wandering through an AcMart store. It would be like a Toys-R-Us for you. :hyper:

https://www.acemart.com

CD

When I ordered mine from Anova, a month or so passed and I was wondering 'hey where's that thing I bought?' so I called them up and they apologized and gave me a partial refund. Then, it was shipped from Hong Kong but they did not put my house number on the address (even though I had clearly supplied it) so it got returned to them by the postal service. I called them up again and they gave me another partial refund, so I ended up getting it at about 60% of the price (albeit nearly 3 months after ordering it). :)

When I ordered mine from Anova, a month or so passed and I was wondering 'hey where's that thing I bought?' so I called them up and they apologized and gave me a partial refund. Then, it was shipped from Hong Kong but they did not put my house number on the address (even though I had clearly supplied it) so it got returned to them by the postal service. I called them up again and they gave me another partial refund, so I ended up getting it at about 60% of the price (albeit nearly 3 months after ordering it). :)

Oh, I was talking about the container I use for the water -- I think that is what Shermie was referring to. My Anova was a Christmas present. I believe it came from Amazon.com.

CD

I am now using the ANOVA. I used the Gourmia earlier but it died after a little under a year and a half - using it about 25-30 times during the duration. It may be my hard-iron water, but still.

I would stay away from Joule - they do have a great cooking app you can download without using the Joule, but the problem with the Joule is that you have no other choice BUT to be a part of that Internet of Things - you cannot operate that implement without using your phone or similar.

I would stay away from Joule - they do have a great cooking app you can download without using the Joule, but the problem with the Joule is that you have no other choice BUT to be a part of that Internet of Things - you cannot operate that implement without using your phone or similar.

Really? Wow. So if you misplace your phone, you can't have any dinner. And if you didn't, Mark Zuckerberg knows what you ate and will send you ads accordingly. I hate that. (not being ironic).

Duck after 36 hrs in the water:

11B291AF-0DA9-4908-97D6-4F0678AB41F2.jpeg

Doesn’t look that awesome yet…

3C06DC6F-76C6-43E7-9E81-F8A8B4C606DA.jpeg

But a short spell in a super hot oven gives:

B687E17C-40F5-4517-98CD-43E976517F8E.jpeg

A little tug and twist and it comes right apart. The meat just falls off:

288F3C2B-885A-41AB-BEA5-ABD8B1BC7A05.jpeg

Served up (potatoes were basted in the fat):

B72EAA0C-3D4A-4864-8314-15C35D2AF00D.jpeg

Duck after 36 hrs in the water:

View attachment 69784

Doesn’t look that awesome yet…

View attachment 69785

But a short spell in a super hot oven gives:

View attachment 69786

A little tug and twist and it comes right apart. The meat just falls off:

View attachment 69787

Served up (potatoes were basted in the fat):

View attachment 69788
Looks tasty. Fattier meats work really well. We have a commercial sous vide at work and normally use it exclusively for veg prep but I do cook our house bacon in a bag and house made sausages that turn out amazing by not losing much of the fat which when finished with other cooking methods results in a much juicer product. Duck legs are one of the meats that would suit sous vide well. Right now we have a duo of duck on the menu and the legs I use duck fat simply because I do around 40 to 50 legs at a time and it more convenient and quicker in the oven. Leg meat gets an Asian treatment then fill a small eclair and the breast is grilled.

My Brother is a big fan of Sous Vide cooking. G was enamored by the concept. G bought an Instant Pot with the Sous Vide setting. He was so proud of himself when he walked in with the cooker. He wanted to use it immediately. I had chicken thighs defrosted, seasoned and ready for braising. I used the pressure cook setting. The result was not as good as braising. We had a nice, light cross between a chicken stew and chicken soup.
A couple of days later I cooked a wild hog roast using the Sous Vide setting. 24 hours marinade time and 24 hours cook time. AMAZING!!!
You would not know that it was wild pig. Later I cooked a venison roast Sous Vide. Lovely. My problem ios that I have to PLAN my cooking.
Anyway - Sous Vide is a viable, useful method of cooking.

Looks tasty. Fattier meats work really well. We have a commercial sous vide at work and normally use it exclusively for veg prep but I do cook our house bacon in a bag and house made sausages that turn out amazing by not losing much of the fat which when finished with other cooking methods results in a much juicer product. Duck legs are one of the meats that would suit sous vide well. Right now we have a duo of duck on the menu and the legs I use duck fat simply because I do around 40 to 50 legs at a time and it more convenient and quicker in the oven. Leg meat gets an Asian treatment then fill a small eclair and the breast is grilled.

I love it for steaks because I can get a perfect medium-rare every time, and no grey band around the red meat. It is edge to edge medium-rare. I like it for pork chops because, again, I get perfect doneness every time. Same with pork tenderloin. White meat pork is easy to overcook.

CD

I am now using the ANOVA. I used the Gourmia earlier but it died after a little under a year and a half - using it about 25-30 times during the duration. It may be my hard-iron water, but still.

On a relate note, sous vide circulators do need to be descaled from time to time, especially with harder water. About twice a year, I run mine in a mix of vinegar and water (lowest temperature) for a while, and then in clean water for a while. The blades and other circulating parts come out looking like new.

CD

Vernplum, what temp are you using. 36 hours has to be a record somewhere.

I know Guga at the Sous Vide Everything channel on YouTube has gone a lot longer than 36 hours. He does a lot of experiments, which include extremes of cooking times. Often they succeed, but sometimes they fail. It is a "We tried it so you don't have to" kind of thing. When a cook fails, he is honest about it, and says, "Do not do this!"

BTW, Guga's knowledge of sous vide cooking is second to none. I've learned a lot from his channel.

CD

Back
Top Bottom