Sous vide recommendations

Right now we have a duo of duck on the menu

Leg meat gets an Asian treatment then fill a small eclair and the breast is grilled.

Could you elaborate on what these are please? I'm looking for new ways to serve the confit as right now I'm not very imaginative and it seems to be potatoes all the way. When I hear the word 'eclair' I can only thing of that chocolate cake thing. :)

I know Guga at the Sous Vide Everything channel on YouTube has gone a lot longer than 36 hours. He does a lot of experiments, which include extremes of cooking times. Often they succeed, but sometimes they fail. It is a "We tried it so you don't have to" kind of thing. When a cook fails, he is honest about it, and says, "Do not do this!"

BTW, Guga's knowledge of sous vide cooking is second to none. I've learned a lot from his channel.

CD

Yep - he did the brisket for one month. I watched that and was glad they haven't invented 'smell-o-vision' yet.

Love that channel and his spin off.

"Lets dooo it!" :D

Could you elaborate on what these are please? I'm looking for new ways to serve the confit as right now I'm not very imaginative and it seems to be potatoes all the way. When I hear the word 'eclair' I can only thing of that chocolate cake thing. :)
Sure, no problem. For context, the duck entree is a Seared Duck Breast: Sambal, tamarind and honey glace, carrot puree, Chinese style braised cabbage with a confit duck eclair, pickled daikon and duck jus.

The eclair is your basic savory choux paste and I add a little Chinese 5 spice to the batter. Fill a piping bag with a smalled tip, nothing huge and on parchment lay a 3" line of choux for a smaller version of an eclair or you could make them larger for a sandwich and bake until golden and dry in the middle. We make around 3 dozen a day. We take the skin off and dry it out, then crisp them up for garnish. Shred all the meat and make a jus with the bones.

In mix for the eclair is the confit duck and like I said we do about 50 legs at a time. I use onion, garlic, sweet peppers, chilis and sautee until soft without caramelizing and to that I add a few spices. Corriander, black cardamom, star anise, black pepper and clove and sautee to release oils then add shaoxing, soy sauce, oyster and hoisin sauce, fish sauce, dried shrimp paste, honey and duck stock. I reduce it and adjust the sweet/heat/salt balance and also add an acid like sherry to further balance the sauce. Add in the shredded confit. Like an eclair I slice it through the middle and fill then with some of the sauce loosened with duck stock I glaze the top before it goes in the oven to heat through.

Last edited:
Sure, no problem. For context, the duck entree is a Seared Duck Breast: Sambal, tamarind and honey glace, carrot puree, Chinese style braised cabbage with a confit duck eclair, pickled daikon and duck jus.

The eclair is your basic savory choux paste and I add a little Chinese 5 spice to the batter. Fill a piping bag with a smalled tip, nothing huge and on parchment lay a 3" line of choux for a smaller version of an eclair or you could make them larger for a sandwich and bake until golden and dry in the middle. We make around 3 dozen a day. We take the skin off and dry it out, then crisp them up for garnish. Shred all the meat and make a jus with the bones.

In mix for the eclair is the confit duck and like I said we do about 50 legs at a time. I use onion, garlic, sweet peppers, chilis and sautee until soft without caramelizing and to that I add a few spices. Corriander, black cardamom, star anise, black pepper and clove and sautee to release oils then add shaoxing, soy sauce, oyster and hoisin sauce, fish sauce, dried shrimp paste, honey and duck stock. I reduce it and adjust the sweet/heat/salt balance and also add an acid like sherry to further balance the sauce. Add in the shredded confit. Like an eclair I slice it through the middle and fill then with some of the sauce loosened with duck stock I glaze the top before it goes in the oven to heat through.

That sounds amazing - and so creative!

On a relate note, sous vide circulators do need to be descaled from time to time, especially with harder water. About twice a year, I run mine in a mix of vinegar and water (lowest temperature) for a while, and then in clean water for a while. The blades and other circulating parts come out looking like new.

CD
Thank you, a great idea which I will adapt! (The vinegar and water idea....)

This is the one I have (no wand). Came with vacuum sealer and bags galore... I'm guilty of using it very little. I really should make an effort. It suffers from being a gadget that is hidden in the cellar as my kitchen is so small.

This is the one I have (no wand). Came with vacuum sealer and bags galore... I'm guilty of using it very little. I really should make an effort. It suffers from being a gadget that is hidden in the cellar as my kitchen is so small.

View attachment 69853

That's the nice thing about a wand. It takes up very little cabinet space, and you can use it in any large vessel, like a stock pot, that you have for other reasons.

CD

Back
Top Bottom