Southern fried chicken...

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:14 AM
family dinner Sunday, I've been asked to do this again. This is done in butter milk and dipped in spice mix. Craig might like to comment on my cook as I believe he does this as well.
Our holiday 2 years ago, we called into the Moutere tavern and had a meal there. The chicken was amazing. Anyhow I e mailed them when we got home. The chef emailed me with ingredients, but not quantities. I've adapted to suit our needs . The kids love it as well. I will serve with twice fried Chips and salads. Pics to follow, btw last Xmas we went back to have the chicken again.......they changed the menu, bugger.

Russ

He made some North Carolina dipped fried chicken from America's Test Kitchen. I didn't want mine dipped. It was some of the best fried chicken I've ever had and I'm a southern girl. Hate to say it, but it was better than my grandmother's and she was a farm wife that raised her own chickens.

He made some North Carolina dipped fried chicken from America's Test Kitchen. I didn't want mine dipped. It was some of the best fried chicken I've ever had and I'm a southern girl. Hate to say it, but it was better than my grandmother's and she was a farm wife that raised her own chickens.

Hmmm, I need to pick his brains. Does he use a recipe??

Russ

I sent you the recipe via PM because I didn't want to rewrite the directions to avoid copyright issues.

It is a bit of extra work, but does make wonderful fried chicken and it can be dipped in the hot sauce or not.

It's a Cook's Country recipe, not an ATK and here's the link, but you have to join their site and only get current season's recipes for free.

https://www.cookscountry.com/recipe...?incode=MKSKT00L0&ref=new_search_experience_2

family dinner Sunday, I've been asked to do this again. This is done in butter milk and dipped in spice mix. Craig might like to comment on my cook as I believe he does this as well.
Our holiday 2 years ago, we called into the Moutere tavern and had a meal there. The chicken was amazing. Anyhow I e mailed them when we got home. The chef emailed me with ingredients, but not quantities. I've adapted to suit our needs . The kids love it as well. I will serve with twice fried Chips and salads. Pics to follow, btw last Xmas we went back to have the chicken again.......they changed the menu, bugger.

Russ

I divide up the spice. I put 1/2 of it into the buttermilk mixture, along with 1 or 2 beaten eggs & the other 1/2 into the flour. Even Steven.
Comes out good tasting!! :wink::hungry:

Last edited:
I sent you the recipe via PM because I didn't want to rewrite the directions to avoid copyright issues.

It is a bit of extra work, but does make wonderful fried chicken and it can be dipped in the hot sauce or not.

It's a Cook's Country recipe, not an ATK and here's the link, but you have to join their site and only get current season's recipes for free.

https://www.cookscountry.com/recipe...?incode=MKSKT00L0&ref=new_search_experience_2

I appreciate your time, I will do it later. :)

Russ

Well it went off really well and it all got eaten. Only thing I would change is the dredging of the chicken. Some batter came off. The crust was the best I've ever done. Much like KFC . Grandkids had 2 and 3 goes at the chicken. The mixture was flour breadcrumbs oregano thyme ( not a lot this time) garlic salt chicken salt paprika basil mustard powder salt pepper. So I make that 11 herbs n spices. I'm doing this again.

Russ

Russ
Actually what your referring to is Nashville Hot Chicken. Typical southern fried chicken is buttermilk, seasoned flour and often mixed with yellow cornmeal and corn starch. Pan fried.

Actually what your referring to is Nashville Hot Chicken. Typical southern fried chicken is buttermilk, seasoned flour and often mixed with yellow cornmeal and corn starch. Pan fried.

Maybe in your part of Alabama you put cornmeal in fried chicken, but certainly not in other parts of the South.

I guess its one of those regional dishes which can vary. There are plenty of those in the UK!

Yep, just like home fries. In some places, they are sliced, others chunks, others cubes. Some use bacon grease, some vegetable oil or Crisco, some butter. I personally like to use a combo of bacon grease and oil or Crisco, and I prefer slices, though Craig prefers chunks or cubes.

Back
Top Bottom