Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Meatless

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
8:01 AM
How do you prefer your spaghetti and why? I prefer a meaty sauce. My wife prefers meatballs. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy it every which way you can. I mean, after all, its still spaghetti. If you had to choose a favorite, what would it be?

I prefer it as Sunday gravy, where many meats are used. Meatballs, sausage and braciole (I call them rolatini and use my preference for stuffing). I like the gravy over the spaghetti (I use Barilla Spaghetti Rigati) and the meats on the side. We often use leftover meatballs and sausage for sub sandwiches for another meal. I also throw Parmesan bones in the gravy. Got to have fresh grated PR over the spaghetti and meats!

So many ways to serve spaghetti - I favour fish based or vegetable based sauces. I reckon Puttanesca might just be my favourite - and if you don't know about this famous sauce, then you should! A version here:

img58635.768x512.jpg

https://www.greatitalianchefs.com/recipes/spaghetti-alla-puttanesca-recipe

If I could tick both boxes I'd go for meat sauce and meatless....sorry, for me meatballs and pasta don't really go together.
But we don't actually eat spaghetti very often though - for light, delicate dishes such as Carbonara or Aglio e Elio I prefer to use linguine, and for more robust sauces like a Ragu I'll use either fettuccine or tagliatelle.

I have a whole cupboard full of pasta, so this thread actually prompted me to do a quick audit of my pasta cupboard as I wasn't sure what I had in there :eek:
rChEThEl.jpg
Turns out I do have a couple of packets of spaghetti: one tricolore and one squid ink. I have a lot of Barilla at the moment because it was on offer at Ocado a couple of months ago so I stocked up, and the more interesting ones (the unusual shapes and the squid ink) are what's left from the souvenirs we brought back from our latest holiday.

Meaty sauce or a good veggie containing sauce. I don't like spaghetti sauce with just the tomato base and no other solid ingredients.

The fish ones described above sound great, as does Morning Glory's Puttanesca! I will have to try making that!

Not a fan of meatballs.

I don't make spaghetti often. I don't think I'd want it on my pizza. Pizza already has its carb carrier.

I have not yet figured out which is my favorite sauce for spaghetti, even just garlic oil and chilli for me are wonderful, or even with oil (or butter), Parmigiano and pepper. Or with basil pesto.
But what always wins me over is the simple tomato sauce, basil and a bit of grated Parmigiano. More or less like this:

Spaghetti with tomato sauce.jpg

Last edited:
I have a whole cupboard full of pasta, so this thread actually prompted me to do a quick audit of my pasta cupboard as I wasn't sure what I had in there :eek:
rchethel-jpg.jpg
Turns out I do have a couple of packets of spaghetti: one tricolore and one squid ink. I have a lot of Barilla at the moment because it was on offer at Ocado a couple of months ago so I stocked up, and the more interesting ones (the unusual shapes and the squid ink) are what's left from the souvenirs we brought back from our latest holiday.

Blimey! That is a lot of pasta. I love the squiggly one.

Back
Top Bottom