Recipe SPAM® Quiche

caseydog

Local time
4:47 AM
SPAM® Quiche

1705115054421.jpeg

1705115073719.jpeg

Ingredients

1 - 12OZ Can of SPAM ( used reduced sodium SPAM)
5 - large eggs
1 - cup Heavy Cream
1 1/2 - cup Mexican Blend Cheese
1/2 - Large Yellow Onion, diced
1/2 - Bell Pepper, diced
3 - Cloves Garlic, minced
1 - Single-crust Pie Crust (refrigerated or frozen)
Avocado Oil (or olive oil)

Instructions

Mise en Place -- crank eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to your liking. Dice onions and bell peppers. Dice SPAM.

In a large skillet lubricated with Avocado fry your diced onions. Add minced garlic in the last 30 seconds. Remove and set aside to cool.

In the same skillet, brown your diced SPAM until GB&D. Put aside to cool off.

Prepare your pie dough, lay it into your pie plate, and blind bake your crust. If you don't know how to do that, I'm sure there is a tread or six on the forum, or look to YouTube for a video.

When your crust is ready, mix your veggies, cheese and SPAM into the eggs, mixing throughly to disperse everything evenly. Pour mixture into your pie crust. Bake at 400F until the top is a nice golden brown, and you can poke a wooden toothpick into the center, feel some resistance, and have it pull out clean.

Let it rest at least 15 minutes. It can also be saved room temperature (my favorite), or even cold.

Last edited:
If did try a slice, you'd probably say, "Oh, that's like ham... tastes good." :wink:

CD
I assure you I wouldn't. I won't go into the childhood school dinner traumas involving spam fritters that make me highly tuned in to the flavour of tinned meats but like with the liquorice, you should never say never!

I have had one tinned ham that I enjoyed, icy cold thinly sliced with enough pickle to sink a ship in a sandwich and thought hmm that was nice.
But that was M&S' expensive version of tinned ham that was actually a piece of ham rather than chopped mechanically recovered reformed meat so maybe that made the difference 🤷‍♀️

I assure you I wouldn't. I won't go into the childhood school dinner traumas involving spam fritters that make me highly tuned in to the flavour of tinned meats but like with the liquorice, you should never say never!

I have had one tinned ham that I enjoyed, icy cold thinly sliced with enough pickle to sink a ship in a sandwich and thought hmm that was nice.
But that was M&S' expensive version of tinned ham that was actually a piece of ham rather than chopped mechanically recovered reformed meat so maybe that made the difference 🤷‍♀️

There are "canned hams" that are not as heavily processed. They were big in the fifties and sixties here. But, I don't think they qualified for this challenge. Otherwise, I would have used that. But, I liked SPAM as a kid, and still like it on occasion today.

Check out my SPAM sliders entry. That's mostly how I would eat SPAM these days. But, even the lower sodium SPAM is too much sodium for my low sodium diet, so I rarely eat SPAM.

CD

Check out my SPAM sliders entry. That's mostly how I would eat SPAM these days. But, even the lower sodium SPAM is too much sodium for my low sodium diet, so I rarely eat SPAM.

CD
I did and I really wanted to make a joke about adding a sprinkling of cheese to complete the pizza experience but I refrained for fear of setting off the pineapple pizza brigades 😂

I did and I really wanted to make a joke about adding a sprinkling of cheese to complete the pizza experience but I refrained for fear of setting off the pineapple pizza brigades 😂

Actually, I did consider cheddar cheese on the sliders, but just wasn't sure it would go with the other flavors. I decided against it.

CD

Back
Top Bottom