Recipe Spicy Indonesian meatballs with satay sauce

Windigo

Kitchen witch
Local time
12:36 PM
Website
www.instagram.com
As the recipe challenge is still open, I thought I would share my husband's favorite meal with you. He loves my meatballs, and he loves my satay sauce. Maybe you will too! never hurts to try. I had to adapt it a little because I am unsure if all ingredients I have on hand are available everywhere, so I have made this dish to be internationally adaptable.

Ingredients for the meatballs:
300 g lean beef mince
1 egg
4 tablespoons of panko
2 tablespoons of ketjap manis (sweet soy sauce)
2 tablespoons of sambal at whatever heat level you prefer
1 tablespoon regular soy sauce
1 tablespoon Chinese five spice
1 tablespoon grated dried coconut
1 clove of grated garlic

For the satay sauce:
3 tablespoons of peanut butter (natural, not sweetened)
200 ml coconut milk
1 tablespoon sambal
2 tablespoons ketjap manis (sweet soy sauce)
Juice of 1 lime
If you can find it, 1 tsp trassi
Sprinkle of sea salt

1) Loosen up the mince in a bowl with the soy sauce, sambal, garlic, egg, and spices. Mix well, then add the panko and coconut. When it's formed into a solid mass, you can make about 10 small meatballs with this mix. After they are rolled, dip them in flour to cover all sides.
2) Grab a saucepan and add all the ingredients for the satay sauce. Put it on low heat and stir every few minutes to prevent sticking. If the mixture becomes too thick, add some water. It should become a sauce by itself, just keep an eye on it making sure it does not burn or stick to the bottom of the pan. It's done after about 10 minutes, or when the sauce has become a glossy, brown mass.
3) Put some peanut oil in a skillet, and sear the meatballs on all sides. Then after about 5 minutes, add a splash of water to the pan and simmer them for 20 minutes. Make sure you keep an eye on them and turn them around at least once so they don't become too dark. Also add another splash of water if the liquid threatens to dry up. You should have a shallow level of gravy in your pan for the meatballs to cook in.
4) Serve the meatballs with the satay sauce and rice. It's nice to put the meatball gravy on the rice before you cover it with the meatballs and satay sauce. I served this dish with fried dried onions, spring onions and carrots on the side.

I clicked 'like' even though I can't do coconut milk. I can see how this recipe works - lots of hot, sweet and sour flavours.

What is that?
You can replace coconut milk with regular milk and it will still work.

Trassi is a paste made of fermented shrimp, essential to Indonesian cooking but hard to get outside of NL or Indonesia.

The trassi , sea salt & regular soy sauce add salt to complete the palate experience. It has sweet, salty, sour, umami and hot all in one

As the recipe challenge is still open, I thought I would share my husband's favorite meal with you. He loves my meatballs, and he loves my satay sauce. Maybe you will too! never hurts to try. I had to adapt it a little because I am unsure if all ingredients I have on hand are available everywhere, so I have made this dish to be internationally adaptable.
View attachment 76557
Ingredients for the meatballs:
300 g lean beef mince
1 egg
4 tablespoons of panko
2 tablespoons of ketjap manis (sweet soy sauce)
2 tablespoons of sambal at whatever heat level you prefer
1 tablespoon regular soy sauce
1 tablespoon Chinese five spice
1 tablespoon grated dried coconut
1 clove of grated garlic

For the satay sauce:
3 tablespoons of peanut butter (natural, not sweetened)
200 ml coconut milk
1 tablespoon sambal
2 tablespoons ketjap manis (sweet soy sauce)
Juice of 1 lime
If you can find it, 1 tsp trassi
Sprinkle of sea salt

1) Loosen up the mince in a bowl with the soy sauce, sambal, garlic, egg, and spices. Mix well, then add the panko and coconut. When it's formed into a solid mass, you can make about 10 small meatballs with this mix. After they are rolled, dip them in flour to cover all sides.
2) Grab a saucepan and add all the ingredients for the satay sauce. Put it on low heat and stir every few minutes to prevent sticking. If the mixture becomes too thick, add some water. It should become a sauce by itself, just keep an eye on it making sure it does not burn or stick to the bottom of the pan. It's done after about 10 minutes, or when the sauce has become a glossy, brown mass.
3) Put some peanut oil in a skillet, and sear the meatballs on all sides. Then after about 5 minutes, add a splash of water to the pan and simmer them for 20 minutes. Make sure you keep an eye on them and turn them around at least once so they don't become too dark. Also add another splash of water if the liquid threatens to dry up. You should have a shallow level of gravy in your pan for the meatballs to cook in.
4) Serve the meatballs with the satay sauce and rice. It's nice to put the meatball gravy on the rice before you cover it with the meatballs and satay sauce. I served this dish with fried dried onions, spring onions and carrots on the side.
Trassi? Please splain?

Russ

Ok, didn't know it was called that.
Guess what??
I have cubes of it , my wife hates the smell of it.

Russ
Yes it's quite pungent,most dishes only need a small amount. I am used to the smell because it's what I grew up with but I can imagine it could be unpleasant.

Trassi/terassi is the Indonesian word for it

The trassi , sea salt & regular soy sauce add salt to complete the palate experience. It has sweet, salty, sour, umami and hot all in one

Another thing I need to track down (in addition to the marzipan, which will be easier to locate).

I really like this recipe. I don't normally think of making meatballs, but these look really good.

Back
Top Bottom