Recipe Spicy Pickled Melon

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:29 PM
Melon is the current ingredient for the The CookingBites Recipe Challenge. I've been thinking about savoury recipes for melon and came across a few recipes for pickled melon. There are, perhaps surprisingly, even more recipes for pickled watermelon rind - which might be fun to try sometime. Anyway, I only had a Honeydew melon. I adapted a recipe from http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/easy-pickled-melon. I intend to use a few cubes of the pickled melon along with a few of the coriander seeds, as part of a starter with prawns, frisee lettuce salad and pickled lemons.

IMGP0447.jpg

Photographed today in natural light

Ingredients

2 cups (1/4-inch) cubes seeded (I used honeydew - but watermelon would look pretty)
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
4 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoon sugar
2 chopped red birds eye chillies
A few kaffir lime leaves
1 tsp coriander seeds

Method
  • In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.
  • Reduce the heat and cook for ten minutes.
  • Set aside to let cool to room temperature and serve, or cover and chill until ready to serve.
IMGP0445.jpg

Wow, just seen a good melon recipe and here's another one!.

I absolutely love pickles as much eating as making them. It is interesting for sure ti pickle something thats more like on the sweet side, but I am gonna try it in the summer and post my results for sure!

My interest has been peaked by the pickling fad sweeping the country. I made piccalilli last year and it came out so well. Jamies money saving series was very big on them. Melon though hmm

My interest has been peaked by the pickling fad sweeping the country. I made piccalilli last year and it came out so well. Jamies money saving series was very big on them. Melon though hmm
Trust me, it works! You can pickle almost any fruit....

Back
Top Bottom