Recipe Spicy Spaghetti with Anchovy and ‘Nduja

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:45 AM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk

Here is a combination to spice up your usual tomato sauce: anchovy fillets and ‘Nduja, with the addition of black olives and myrtle leaves.
‘Nduja is a spicy spreadable pork cream from Calabria, Italy.

Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 25 mins

• Tomato sauce: 450 g
  • Spaghetti: 380 g
  • Anchovy fillets in olive oil: 5
  • Myrtle: 1 sprig
  • Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO): 2 tbsp
  • ‘Nduja: 1 tbsp
  • Pitted black olives: a handful
  • Salt: to taste

Method

Drain and dry the anchovy fillets with absorbent paper to remove their oil, coarsely chop them.

Heat up the oil in a pan and fry up a generous tbsp of ‘Nduja and the anchovy fillets over low heat until they combine with the oil getting a thicker texture.

Add tomato sauce, a pinch of salt and black pepper, cook on medium to high heat for about 5 minutes.

Add black olives and myrtle to the tomato sauce, lower the heat and cook for a further 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally.

Tip: You can add the olives whole or chopped, as you prefer. Make sure to keep the myrtle leaves whole and attached to the sprig instead, so it will be easier to remove it once the sauce is ready to be served.

Boil spaghetti in salted water and drain them possibily al dente, that means at least 2 mins before the standard cooking. Add spaghetti to the tomato sauce, stir until pasta and sauce are evenly combined. Remove myrtle sprig.

Serve warm.

I just ordered anchovies in olive oil (with a pinch of black truffle) and a can of 'Nduja (the "sausage" type in vacuum had run out of stock). I'll prepare the dish next week!

I finally made it - and it was very good; thanks for the recipe, MypinchofItaly! I used the black truffle-seasoned anchovies and prepared a larger quantity to use up most of the 'Nduja. My hubby ate three portions:bbq:. He's a bit worn out after finishing the meal with a tall glass of pistachio dessert (Flaming Towers). < I hear the sound of the exercise bike while typing >. I didn't find myrtle so I substituted it with two bay leaves and used thyme for garnish. I also replaced the spaghetti with egg pappardelle as I found fresh (vacuum-packed) pappardelle from the hypermarket.
ndu_1.jpg

ndu_a.png

I finally made it - and it was very good; thanks for the recipe, MypinchofItaly! I used the black truffle-seasoned anchovies and prepared a larger quantity to use up most of the 'Nduja. My hubby ate three portions:bbq:. He's a bit worn out after finishing the meal with a tall glass of pistachio dessert (Flaming Towers). < I hear the sound of the exercise bike while typing >. I didn't find myrtle so I substituted it with two bay leaves and used thyme for garnish. I also replaced the spaghetti with egg pappardelle as I found fresh (vacuum-packed) pappardelle from the hypermarket.
View attachment 55033

View attachment 55035

You made it finally, wow! I'm glad you liked it - and I think your hubby too...:laugh:

I like you sub spaghetti with pappardelle and thyme works very well as sub of myrtle - which I know is not very easy to find outside Italy
Well done, cara :bravo:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom