Recipe Spinach Invasion

ThatManViv

Über Member
Local time
10:58 AM
I made up this recipe probably 20 years ago and have never shared it before.
It's also the first time I've measured everything.
It's very easy to make.
I have never made it with fresh spinach, simply because I have never had an implement to cut the spinach fine enough, and the frozen is ideal.
I hope someone enjoys it.

EQUIPMENT
Microwave
Large Non Stick Pan
Small Non Stick Pan

INGREDIENTS

Pint of Frozen Spinach
1/2 Cup Sweetcorn
1/2 Cup Sliced Almonds
One Large Onion
3 Cloves Garlic
1 Tblsp Oil
1/4 Tsp Cumin Seeds
1/4 Tsp Turmeric
1/16 Tsp Chilli Powder
10ozs Single Cream
4ozs Coconut Milk
Hot Water
-----------
Alternative Variation
Add Chopped Paneer Cheese
Small Piece White Fish
-----------
METHOD

Defrost Frozen Spinach in Microwave
Defrost Frozen Sweetcorn

Chop Finely 3 Cloves Garlic, Crush, and leave to stand.
Cut up Onion into small squares, less then 1/2 inch
Add Oil to Pan & Heat, dont want it smoking.
Blanch the onions in the microwave. Mine has 10 settings, I used 3mins on 5.
Add the Garlic to the Oil, keep it moving, take off the heat if it looks as if it might brown.
Add the Onion which should now be hot.
Keep the mix moving, keep the onions white.
Heat up a second small Non Stick pan. Add Cumin Seeds. Heat until they are brown (bit like instant coffee brown). If they go black throw them away.
Add to the mix.
Add the Turmeric
Add the Chilli Powder.
Stir in, keep moving 2mins
Add a little Cream or Coconut Milk.
Heat the Spinach in the microwave - 3mins No 5
Add Sweetcorn to mix
Add Almonds to mix
Add more Cream or Coconut Milk, Keep it moving, No need for it to be boiling.
Add the spinach and fold in.
Add more cream Slowly until it is all added.
Allow it to come to the boil, turn off the heat.
Add a little hot water if you wish.
-----------------
If you wish add chopped paneer cheese.
or a small piece of chopped white fish.
-----------------
I'll have this on its own, or on top a jacket potato or beside a sweet
potato, but you can add french fries or rice etc etc.
I also freeze it in small tubs. Such a good tasty snack.
Puts Hairs on ya Chest ... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a very interesting recipe. I'm not a fan of sweetcorn but I can see how that would work. I am curious about two things:
1/16th tsp of curry powder? Are you sure? Hardly worth adding I would think and impossible to measure! In the instructions you refer to adding chilli powder.

The chopped spinach - are you using the very very finely chopped frozen spinach? Like this:
LN_054241_BP_10.jpg

Yep .... thats the spinach I use ....ideal

re chilli powder, it gives it a little zing .. and its not difficult to measure, I used a 1/4 tsp measure, and quarter filled it ...
course, if you aint got a 1/4 tsp measure you have to guess ... like a bit on the end of a teaspoon handle ...
just do as ya told .... :laugh:

Yep .... thats the spinach I use ....ideal

re chilli powder, it gives it a little zing .. and its not difficult to measure, I used a 1/4 tsp measure, and quarter filled it ...
course, if you aint got a 1/4 tsp measure you have to guess ... like a bit on the end of a teaspoon handle ...
just do as ya told .... :laugh:

Okey-doky - so in your ingredients list it should be chilli powder not curry powder?

Ohhhhh .... silly me .... yes yes yes ... CHILLI Powder ....
can I amend the post, or should i take it down and re-do it ???

Ohhhhh .... silly me .... yes yes yes ... CHILLI Powder ....
can I amend the post, or should i take it down and re-do it ???
I'm not sure if you can edit the post (I think new members can't do editing until they have sent a certain amount of posts). Try clicking on 'edit' (in green at the bottom of your post) to see. If you can't then I can easily edit it for you. :)

Spinach Invasion! :D This sounds like a rather good recipe. I wonder if it could work with fresh chopped spinach?

I'm not sure if you can edit the post (I think new members can't do editing until they have sent a certain amount of posts). Try clicking on 'edit' (in green at the bottom of your post) to see. If you can't then I can easily edit it for you. :)

noooooo, I can't edit it .. so, it would be lovely if you can use your superpowers to sort out my gaff .... please ....
I'm old, you know .... :woot:

I the sort of spinach @ThatManViv is using is the very fine almost pureed sort which comes frozen in sort of small round shapes. I don't think I could chop it that fine. A food processor might do it.
We're talking about fresh spinach here. I get the frozen spinach that is in small cubes - by the time you hold it and get ready to cut it's starting to thaw enough to chop anyway.

In due course you w
We're talking about fresh spinach here. I get the frozen spinach that is in small cubes - by the time you hold it and get ready to cut it's starting to thaw enough to chop anyway.

Yes I was responding to @ThatManViv saying he hadn't made it with fresh spinach because he didn't have a way of cutting it finely enough. The sort of spinach in the photo is the one he uses and is already finely chopped.

Back
Top Bottom