Recipe Spinach, Mascarpone & Emmental Feuilleté

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:29 AM
No, I don't know how to pronounce 'feuilleté', but it sounds better than 'puff pastry parcel'. This was made from the scraps of the rough puff pastry (made with S.R. flour) that I used for the Blue Cheese, Fig & Greengage Tart.

Ingredients (for each feuilleté)
Puff pastry rolled to a 15cm square
50g cooked roughly chopped spinach (cooked weight)
2 heaped tbsp Mascarpone cheese
25g Emmental cheese, grated or chopped in small pieces
Nutmeg
Beaten egg or milk

Method
  1. Heat the oven to 180 C
  2. Make sure the cooked spinach is as dry as you can get it. Place in a bowl and mix in the cheeses plus a few gratings of nutmeg.
  3. Place the spinach in the centre of the pastry square, allowing a generous margin. Brush the margins of pastry with milk or beaten egg.
  4. Pull up the opposite corners of each square to meet in the centre like an envelope. Carefully pinch the seams together to seal them,
  5. Place on a non-stick baking sheet and brush with beaten egg or milk.
  6. Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.

Last edited:
No, I don't know how to pronounce 'feuilleté', but it sounds better than 'puff pastry parcel'.
That's an interesting side point: as an (American) English speaker, my practice is to discard the non-English name and use an (American) English translation; probably because I'm too lazy to entertain questions of, "What's a feuilleté, anyway?" :)

I love the golden brown on the egg-brushed puff pastry. And, the nutmeg is a subtle touch, but a nice one. I use that when I make spinach pie.

That's an interesting side point: as an (American) English speaker, my practice is to discard the non-English name and use an (American) English translation; probably because I'm too lazy to entertain questions of, "What's a feuilleté, anyway?" :)
I think this was probably largely true before Food Network started to take off over the last 10 years or so. Now, we know so many French terms that make things sound much more sophisticated than they might otherwise:

mayonnaise sauce = ailoi
finely chopped = chiffonade
wine waiter = sommelier
on a skewer = en brochette

More common terms that have been in the lexicon also sound more sophisticated:

beef juices = au jus
ordering items separately = à la carte
with ice cream = à la mode
method of cooking = cuisine

Back
Top Bottom