Recipe Spinach, Mushrooms & onions (revisited)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:14 AM
As promised, as co-judge of the Cookingbites Recipe Challenge I've been trying out some of the dishes submitted in my Test Kitchen! This one is an exploration of the recipe posted by @winterybella: Sautéed Spinach, mushrooms, and caramelized onions from http://juliasalbum.com/2014/04/sauteed-spinach-mushrooms-and-onions/. This is my take on it!

DSCF2730.jpg

Photographed today in natural light augmented by LED by Morning Glory.

I tried the recipe as presented but found that it looked rather dull (all brown and green). @winterybella did note that the appearance of the dish on the website wasn't very alluring! Also, I thought the taste was rather 'muddy'. Nothing stood out.

So,
I got thinking: this dish needs contrast to bring out the sweetness of the onions and the earthiness of the mushrooms. This is my tweaked version. I added a little red chilli (for colour and piquance) and I pimped up the balsamic vinegar by making a balsamic vinegar reduction. I think the studs of red chilli and the sweet and sour Balsamic reduction provide a good contrast to the sweetness of the onions and the earthiness of the mushrooms.

NOTES:
  • To make a balsamic vinegar reduction, simmer balsamic vinegar over a low heat until it becomes a syrup. Drizzle a little over the dish and place dots around the plate as shown. You don't need a lot!
  • This dish could be served as a vegan/vegetarian starter.
  • shiitake mushrooms were used here but you could substitute other types of mushroom.

I am liking the changes that you made to this recipe. I felt it needed something and I think you nailed. I am going to give it a try your way.

Back
Top Bottom