Recipe Steamed bao buns

Windigo

Kitchen witch
Local time
3:29 AM
Website
www.instagram.com
The original is a recipe from BBC good food. The picture is mine though.

Ingredients:
525g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1½ tbsp caster sugar, plus a pinch
1 tsp fast-action dried yeast
50ml milk
1 tbsp sunflower oil
plus extra for greasing and brushing
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp baking powder

Method:
Mix together 525g plain flour, 1½ tbsp caster sugar and ½ tsp salt in a large bowl .Dissolve 1 tsp fast-action dried yeast and a pinch of sugar in 1 tbsp warm water, then add it to the flour with 50ml milk, 1 tbsp sunflower oil, 1 tbsp rice vinegar and 200ml water. Mix into a dough, adding a little extra water if needed.

Tip the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 10-15 mins, or until smooth. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth and leave to rise for 2 hrs, or until doubled in size.Tip the dough out onto a clean work surface and punch it down. Flatten the dough with your hands, then sprinkle over 1 tsp baking powder and knead for 5 mins.

Roll out the dough into a long sausage shape, about 3cm thick, then cut into pieces that are about 3cm wide – you should have 18.In the palm of your hand, roll each piece of dough into a ball and leave to rest for 2-3 mins.Use a rolling pin to roll out each ball, one by one, into an oval shape about 3-4mm thick. Rub the surface of the dough ovals with oil and brush a little oil over a chopstick.

Place the oiled chopstick in the centre of each oval. Fold the dough over the chopstick, then slowly pull out the chopstick.Cut 18 squares of baking parchment and put a bun on each. Transfer to a baking tray, cover with a clean tea towel or lightly oiled cling film and leave to prove in a warm place for 1 hr 30 mins, or until doubled in size.Heat a large bamboo steamer over a medium-high heat. (You do this by heating a pan of water that fits the steamer) Steam the buns for 8 mins until puffed up (you’ll need to do this in batches).

Craig cut a piece of 1 inch wood dowel, about 6 inches long, for me to use when making buns, as a regular rolling pin is too cumbersome for rolling out buns. I use it also when I actually make dough and roll it out for dim sum dumplings.

The recipe I make uses part of the oil/grease the protein is cooked in instead of safflower or similar for the dough.

BTW, these are best eaten fresh. Even after just a day, they start to lose freshness and don't taste as good.

2019-07-15 20.15.39.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom