- 1 blood sausage (black pudding)
- 200 g of bacon
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- Potatoes 700g
- 1 bunch coriander
- Salt, bay leaf and pepper to taste

Preparation:
Put the beans to soak an overnight. Eve, scald and scrape the pig's ear in order to stay well clear.

The same day, take the beans to cook in water together with ear, sausages, bacon, onions, garlic cloves and bay leaf. Season salt and pepper. Add more water, if necessary. When the meat and sausages are cooked, remove them from heat and cut them into pieces.

Join then to the pan the potatoes, cut into cubes and finely chopped coriander. Simmer gently until the potato is cooked. Take the pan from the heat and enter the previously cut meats.

In the bowl of background which will serve the soup put a well-washed stone.

http://www.gastronomias.com/lusofonia/pt.ribatejo002.html

Like the story their are plenty of variations
Stone Soup

Ingredients:
Makes a large saucepan of soup.
  • 1 Packet of dried Red Kidney Beans
  • 1 kg of Pigs Feet or a Ham Shank
  • 200 gr of Pork Spare Ribs
  • 250 grams of Shin of Beef
  • 100 g Bacon
  • A Chouriço Sausage
  • A Morcela Sausage (Black Pudding)
  • 1 Cauliflower head and some leaves
  • 400 g of Potatoes
  • 2 Carrots
  • 2 Onions
  • 2 Cloves of Garlic
  • Salt to taste
  • A Farinheira Sausage
  • Mint and Coriander to taste (optional

Ingredients:
- 2.5 l of water
- 1 kg of red beans
- 1 pig's ear
- 1 sausage meat
- 1 blood sausage (black pudding)
- 200 g of bacon
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- Potatoes 700g
- 1 bunch coriander
- Salt, bay leaf and pepper to taste

Preparation:
Put the beans to soak an overnight. Eve, scald and scrape the pig's ear in order to stay well clear.

The same day, take the beans to cook in water together with ear, sausages, bacon, onions, garlic cloves and bay leaf. Season salt and pepper. Add more water, if necessary. When the meat and sausages are cooked, remove them from heat and cut them into pieces.

Join then to the pan the potatoes, cut into cubes and finely chopped coriander. Simmer gently until the potato is cooked. Take the pan from the heat and enter the previously cut meats.

In the bowl of background which will serve the soup put a well-washed stone.

http://www.gastronomias.com/lusofonia/pt.ribatejo002.html
Ahh I will take mine without the blood sausage please. Some people call this nail broth and it is essentially the same thing. Just broth or soup that is started with a stone or a nail. I mean a proverbial stone or nail only. You should not put this in your pot! it is really just a kitchen sink kind of soup that people can enjoy. It is one of the options you can take advantage of.

Ahh I will take mine without the blood sausage please. Some people call this nail broth and it is essentially the same thing. Just broth or soup that is started with a stone or a nail. I mean a proverbial stone or nail only. You should not put this in your pot! it is really just a kitchen sink kind of soup that people can enjoy. It is one of the options you can take advantage of.
Served up with a stone, well washed, in the bowl!

Saw the name and wondered if the soup would leave you 'high' or something, Seriously though, I could not do the blood sausage/black pudding. Well washed stone? Oh well.
What's wrong with black pudding. Eaten raw round these parts.
And not just by me!

Yeap the old stone soup story came to mind too. I thought it would've been closer to a vegetable soup though as that's what the illustrations in my story book suggested. Glad to see it come to life the pig's ear and blood sausages is definitely new to me when it comes to soup, a definite must-try.

Back
Top Bottom