Store Bought Snack Foods (Junk Food)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Food Discussions' started by CraigC, Jan 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. CraigC

CraigC Über Member

When I was younger I ate quite a bit of store bought chips etc. Now I rarely buy any, Zapp's and Ruffles (with Dean's French onion dip. Zapp's are hard to come by in my area. Do you have any that you still purchase?

ElizabethB likes this.
  2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I used to by them (US 'chips' are known as crisps in the UK) as a snack - mainly the plain ones or the 'salt your own' type. They aren't too unhealthy really unless you eat shed loads of them. The plain type sold here has no additive.

Ingredients: Potatoes, Sunflower Oil (26%), Rapeseed Oil, Salt. They are commonly sold in 25g packs which have about 130Kcals.

Anyway, about a year ago I suddenly went off them, finding them too 'greasy'. So, if I ever do buy snack food now its Twiglets. They are wholewheat 'sticks' flavoured with yeast extract (tastes like Marmite)

e8a32457dba1bc0ab0e288897a48a5f0.jpg

They are sold in 24g packs and contain 94 Kcals. Ingredients: Wholewheat Flour (80%), Flavouring [Yeast Extract (Barley), Salt, Vegetable Extracts, Spice Extracts (contains Celery Seed), Niacin (Vitamin B3), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)], Vegetable Oils (Sunflower, Palm), Salt, White Pepper

3. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Midlands, England

I find a lot of crisps/chips are greasy except Mccoys, twiglets are so moorish :thumbsup:

ElizabethB and morning glory like this.
  4. I try to avoid "regular" crisps/chips, but this one is an exception that I enjoy on occasion:

Takis-Fuego-Product.png

However, when I do want to snack on something, it's usually this, which is much healthier:

0007114600231_3_A1C1_0600.png
    2_16_36.jpg

ElizabethB and MypinchofItaly like this.
  5. rascal

rascal Über Member

I came across peas that are like a chip snack. I'm still unsure. I like them, but it's seems odd eating peas as a snack. I'll try and find a pic.
    I love delisio chips especially balsamic vinegar ones. Good with onion dip.
    Russ.

6. Lullabelle

Last night we tried a packet of these, it was like biting into raw chillis coated in sugar :sick: :sick:

max_flamin_hot.png

ElizabethB and rascal like this.
  7. rascal

rascal Über Member

I sometimes get walker chips here from the uk shop. I like them.

Russ

ElizabethB likes this.
  8. Lullabelle

Walkers are good just not those.

ElizabethB likes this.
  9. Mountain Cat

Mountain Cat Active Member

I generally don't buy junk food.

That being said, I do have an "addiction" to potato chips. And NOT the kettle cooked, supposedly healthier ones. Nope, Lays all the way, the saltier and more fried the better. Plain or ruffled, no added flavors.

epicuric and ElizabethB like this.
  10. medtran49

medtran49 Über Member

No French onion dip? Dean's is our fav.

rascal and ElizabethB like this.
  11. morning glory

I used to like crisps (chips in U.S.) especially Walker's plain crisps or Salt 'n Shake (never Kettle). But recently I've gone right off them. I find them to greasy. My favourite bought in snack is Twiglets. Which I think is actually quite 'healthy' as they are baked not fried.

e8a32457dba1bc0ab0e288897a48a5f0.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 14.46.10.png

1930's advert

twiglet 1935.jpg

ElizabethB likes this.
  12. medtran49

medtran49 Über Member

Do you have the baked veggie chips over there? DD has been buying them for the DGDs. I tried some the last time she had them when I was there. They are pretty good.

ElizabethB likes this.
  13. Lullabelle

Twiglets are a favourite in this house :thumbsup:

ElizabethB and morning glory like this.
  14. morning glory

Yes we do. They are quite easy to make too.

ElizabethB likes this.
  15. medtran49

medtran49 Über Member

I've made Brussels sprout chips before and we liked them. In fact, I have to make extra when I'm using them in a dish or else someone ends up with red hands from me slapping them when he tries to steal some.

DD doesn't cook anymore than she absolutely has to so cooking veggie chips would be out of the question for her.

ElizabethB likes this.