Store Bought Snack Foods (Junk Food)

CraigC

Guru
Local time
7:09 PM
When I was younger I ate quite a bit of store bought chips etc. Now I rarely buy any, Zapp's and Ruffles (with Dean's French onion dip. Zapp's are hard to come by in my area. Do you have any that you still purchase?

I used to by them (US 'chips' are known as crisps in the UK) as a snack - mainly the plain ones or the 'salt your own' type. They aren't too unhealthy really unless you eat shed loads of them. The plain type sold here has no additive.

Ingredients: Potatoes, Sunflower Oil (26%), Rapeseed Oil, Salt. They are commonly sold in 25g packs which have about 130Kcals.

Anyway, about a year ago I suddenly went off them, finding them too 'greasy'. So, if I ever do buy snack food now its Twiglets. They are wholewheat 'sticks' flavoured with yeast extract (tastes like Marmite)

e8a32457dba1bc0ab0e288897a48a5f0.jpg

They are sold in 24g packs and contain 94 Kcals. Ingredients: Wholewheat Flour (80%), Flavouring [Yeast Extract (Barley), Salt, Vegetable Extracts, Spice Extracts (contains Celery Seed), Niacin (Vitamin B3), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)], Vegetable Oils (Sunflower, Palm), Salt, White Pepper

I used to by them (US 'chips' are known as crisps in the UK) as a snack - mainly the plain ones or the 'salt your own' type. They aren't too unhealthy really unless you eat shed loads of them. The plain type sold here has no additive.

Ingredients: Potatoes, Sunflower Oil (26%), Rapeseed Oil, Salt. They are commonly sold in 25g packs which have about 130Kcals.

Anyway, about a year ago I suddenly went off them, finding them too 'greasy'. So, if I ever do buy snack food now its Twiglets. They are wholewheat 'sticks' flavoured with yeast extract (tastes like Marmite)

View attachment 21976

They are sold in 24g packs and contain 94 Kcals. Ingredients: Wholewheat Flour (80%), Flavouring [Yeast Extract (Barley), Salt, Vegetable Extracts, Spice Extracts (contains Celery Seed), Niacin (Vitamin B3), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)], Vegetable Oils (Sunflower, Palm), Salt, White Pepper

I find a lot of crisps/chips are greasy except Mccoys, twiglets are so moorish :thumbsup:

I generally don't buy junk food.

That being said, I do have an "addiction" to potato chips. And NOT the kettle cooked, supposedly healthier ones. Nope, Lays all the way, the saltier and more fried the better. Plain or ruffled, no added flavors.

I used to like crisps (chips in U.S.) especially Walker's plain crisps or Salt 'n Shake (never Kettle). But recently I've gone right off them. I find them to greasy. My favourite bought in snack is Twiglets. Which I think is actually quite 'healthy' as they are baked not fried.

e8a32457dba1bc0ab0e288897a48a5f0.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 14.46.10.png

1930's advert

twiglet 1935.jpg

Do you have the baked veggie chips over there? DD has been buying them for the DGDs. I tried some the last time she had them when I was there. They are pretty good.

Yes we do. They are quite easy to make too.

I've made Brussels sprout chips before and we liked them. In fact, I have to make extra when I'm using them in a dish or else someone ends up with red hands from me slapping them when he tries to steal some.

DD doesn't cook anymore than she absolutely has to so cooking veggie chips would be out of the question for her.

Back
Top Bottom