• 1 Medium onion, very finely chopped
  • 2 Small fresh green (or red) chilies, finely chopped
  • Salt and black pepper, to taste
  • 1 tbls Fresh coriander, shreaded
  • Batter for coating
  • Vegetable oil for deep frying
devilledeggs.jpg

Method

Cut each egg in half and remove the yolk. Mash the yolk with the boiled potatoes, milk and butter. Add the finely chopped onion, the chilies, the coriander and seasoning and continue to mash. Put the mash into the orifices left by the egg yolk and build up to reform a whole egg shape.

Chill for 30 minutes.

Coat in batter and deep fry until golden brown.

I use Meadowlea when I do not have butter (i.e. when all the butter has disappeared into the hot butter chicken).
Is Meadowlea dairy? (@SatNavSaysStraightOn can't have dairy). But I think you could get away with just a tad of olive oil in the mash or even no fat at all given the other flavourings. After all, there is the egg yolk which is fat. Come to think of it, perhaps if the eggs were boiled so the yolks were still a little soft, that would do the trick?

What a fun recipe, though. I read about this somewhere else I think when I was searching 'stuffed eggs' which in the UK at least, generally mean those canape type halved eggs with yolks mashed up with spices.

"Meadow Lea is one of Australia's leading brands of polyunsaturated margarine spreads".

"MeadowLea Gluten Free is for those family members that are sensitive or intolerant to gluten, dairy and/or salt".

I boiled some eggs today using my usual method. The yolks are a stronger orange than the last lot I boiled but not the colour of the soft boiled. These two will form part of tonight's salad.

HB Eggs cut s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom