Stuffed Pork Loin - cooking time and advice)

megaduff

Local time
7:01 AM
Afternoon all!

I come with a question regarding cooking times for a roast pork loin. I am hoping to do this for Mother's Day (which is tomorrow - nothing like last minute, eh?!) and wondered on cooking times and any general advice for folks who may have done this recipe before.

Basically, I'm aiming to do this one from good ol' Ramsay. It's stuffed with sage, parsley, lemon zest and garlic, although with most "F Word" clips, it's extremely short and lacking in the finer detail:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yaki4HUsiNM

I did find what I think is the exact same recipe on BBC Food, and given it's from his right hand man, Mark Sergeant, I figure the cooking methods mentioned in the instructions are what Ramsay uses in the video above:
Lemon & sage stuffed loin of pork recipe | BBC Good Food

However, the contradictions came when I bought the loin from my butcher who said it needs 2 - 2.5 hours in the oven around 170C. It's around a 1.7kg joint (hopefully feeding 5) so not sure what your thoughts would be on the weight and the effect that will have on the cooking time, but the BBC Food recipe suggests 15-20 mins at a high heat (220C) for 20 mins to get the crackling, before lowering the temperature to 160-170C for an hour. So total cooking time being around 1.5 hours. A lot less than what the butcher suggested.

Would anyone have any tips if they have cooked this (or something similar) before? Would you go with the Ramsay/Sergeant times/temperatures? Or stick with what the butcher has recommended at 2+ hours? For what it's worth, in the video, Ramsay does say that this is best served slightly pink, although when he cuts into it, while it looks extremely juicy, I fail to see any pink in the meat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (and hopefully help give my mum a happy Mother's Day!)

Cheers,
Chris

You want the inner temperature to be 140 to 155 F, which I believe is 60 to 68 C, depending on how well done you want it. 140/60 is going to be pretty pink on the inside. Obviously, the higher finished temps are going to be more well done. I personally wouldn't go anywhere higher than about 150/65. We would pull it at 145/62-63.

I think the recipe times are more realistic, but I would check the temp at about 30 minutes into the second roast time. You can always tent it with foil to keep it warm. I personally would rather have a not piping hot piece of meat than shoe leather on my plate.

It sounds like your butcher is old school at cooked to gray all the way through. There is nothing wrong with a bit of pink in pork anymore.

Afternoon all!

I come with a question regarding cooking times for a roast pork loin. I am hoping to do this for Mother's Day (which is tomorrow - nothing like last minute, eh?!) and wondered on cooking times and any general advice for folks who may have done this recipe before.

Don't go by time, go by internal temperature. Cooking time will vary from one roast to another. Use a probe thermometer from time to time to check the internal temperature. I generally go for 145F for internal temperature. That will give you a slight pink inside.

CD

Back
Top Bottom