Recipe Summer Fruit Galette

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
11:07 AM
This encompasses two recipes; a good all-purpose pie dough, and then the galette using the pie dough.

Foolproof Food Processor Pie Dough
Makes one 8- or 9-inch pie crust

Ingredients:

5 TB cold unsalted butter
1-1/4 (5-5/8oz) AP (plain) flour
½ tsp salt
2 TB granulated (caster) sugar
5 TB cold vegetable shortening (like Crisco)
4 to 5 TB iced water

Method:

1. Cut butter into ¾-inch pieces and place in freezer for 15 minutes. Mix flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Place the shortening in 1-TB lumps into the food processor along with the frozen butter pieces. Pulse 8 to 12 times (1-second pulses), or until the dough appears slightly yellow and pebbly in texture and the butter is reduced to the size of tiny peas or smaller. Check dough after 5 pulses and every pulse thereafter. Turn mixture into a medium bowl.

2. Sprinkle 3 TB of iced water over the mixture. With the blade of a large rubber spatula, fold to mix, then press down on the dough with the broad side of the spatula until the dough sticks together, adding up to 2 TB more water if dough will not come together. Work slowly, mixing the dough to evenly distribute the water. This should take about a minute. The dough should be very wet and sticky, and it's better to add too much water than too little. Shape the dough into a ball with your hands, turn onto a lightly floured surface, and flatten into a 4-inch-wide disk. Dust very lightly with flour, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before rolling and proceeding with pie recipe.

To make dough by hand:

Use the same ingredients.

Method:

1. Freeze the butter and shortening for 30 minutes. Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Grate butter and shortening into bowl. Toss flour and fat mixture about 8 to 10 times, until all the butter and shortening are coated with flour and distributed evenly throughout the flour. Break up any clumps with your fingers as you toss the mixture. The flour should no longer appear light and powdery but take on a mealy texture, slightly heavier and a bit more yellow in color. Do not overwork or the butter will melt and the dough will become unworkable when rolled out.

Step 2 is the same.

Rustic Fruit Galette

1 Foolproof Pie Dough
2 cups ripe summer fruit (peaches, berries, plums, etc)
3 to 4 TB granulated (caster) sugar, depending on ripeness of fruit

Note: I used peaches and blueberries and added a bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice

Method:

1. Heat oven to 400F/200C/Gas Mark 6. Prepare fruit. Berries just need washed, but stone fruits will need to be pitted and sliced. They can be peeled if preferred.

2. Roll out the chilled pie dough on a large piece of parchment (baking) paper (or a lightly floured surface) to roughly 12 inches in diameter, then transfer to a baking sheet pan. Toss the fruit with the sugar and place in the middle of the dough, leaving a 2-1/2 inch border all around. Drape the border up over the fruit in overlapping folds. The fruit in the center will remain uncovered.

3. Bake in preheated oven on the middle rack for about 45 minutes, or until the fruit is bubbling and the crust is very brown. Let cool for at least an hour. Makes six servings.

***Both recipes from "The Dessert Bible, " by Christopher Kimball
2028B609-3E22-4723-86B4-034E802CCFDB.jpeg
DF5C019A-4A53-4B06-81B6-9A9C8FB048E8.jpeg

Thanks for posting the recipe. It really does look delicious indeed!

The dough should be very wet and sticky, and it's better to add too much water than too little.
I don't have a food processor so I make all pastry by hand - but the above surprised me. I've never heard of making wet, sticky pastry before...

Back
Top Bottom