Recipe Sweet and Sour Meatballs

L_B

Veteran
Local time
9:19 AM
My favorite thing to make when I go to a potluck is Sweet and Sour Meatballs. Here is the recipe that I use.
What are some other great recipes that you use for Meatballs?

Ingredients
Meatballs
  • 2 lbs lean ground beef
  • 2 cups plain bread crumbs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • salt and pepper to taste
Sauce
  • 1 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1 20 oz can pineapple chunks in juice (including the juice)
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • ⅔ cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 cup water
  • 4 Tbsp vinegar
  • 4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Meatballs
  1. Mix ingredients together and form into balls.
  2. Arrange in a single layer in a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish.
Sauce
  1. Combine all ingredients and pour over meatballs.
  2. Bake for one hour uncovered.
  3. Serve over rice.

If it was me I would use left over pulled pork moulded hot
Or minced pork leg
And batter the balls serve on the rice and sauce separate

Reactions: L_B
If it was me I would use left over pulled pork moulded hot
Or minced pork leg
And batter the balls serve on the rice and sauce separate

That sounds like a great idea. I have never tried that before but I would give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion. It would give it a entirely different taste with the batter.

This sounds delicious. Do the breadcrumbs serve to thicken it or hold it together? Do you think they would work without or would I need to substitute something similar?

The bread crumbs are just to hold them together and keep them from shrinking up too small when you cook them.
They would work find without the bread crumbs but the meat balls would shrink up a bit. You could use crackers,
oats, etc.

This looks great. I make a similar sweet and sour recipe. If I'm in a hurry I'll use Diana's BBQ sauce and add peppers, onions, and pineapple. If you don't ahve bread crumbs you can also crumble saltine crackers as well or soak a slice of bread in milk and add it to the ground beef. It just adds as a binder for the meatballs. Instead of ground beef I've also used ground turkey or ground pork, they work just as nicely.

Reactions: L_B
This sounds really good. I really like Diana's BBQ. For me it is the best BBQ sauce and I love that there are so many different flavours to choose from.
I have used different binders for my meat and also different types of meat when making this recipe. They always taste though and are always a hit at any get together that I take them too.

Can you make the sweet and sour sauce using minimal ingredients only like three? Sometimes I do not have enough stuff in my kitchen because I do not know when should I be stocking on the basic ingredients. What would be the trick in making the sauce with fewer ingredients but still has the same taste?

I think you could make it with just the:

• ⅔ cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 cup water
  • 4 Tbsp vinegar
and it would taste just fine. Most people have ketchup, brown sugar and vinegar on hand.

I think you could make it with just the:

• ⅔ cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 cup water
  • 4 Tbsp vinegar
and it would taste just fine. Most people have ketchup, brown sugar and vinegar on hand.
Fair enough that recipe did not list a lot of ingredients. Just by looking at it makes me want to believe that yes this could be the cheat that I am looking for. I would keep this in mind for my next project. I do appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom