Recipe Sweet Potato Chips with a Coffee, Nutmeg and Cinnamon Spices

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:30 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Ok ,this counts as weird and we're not 100% sure on it but...
We also did the flavouring with both ground coffee and instant coffee. To be honest, we are not sure which one we preferred.

Ingredients
2 large organic sweet potatoes
1-2 tbsp Olive oil
2-3 tbsp ground coffee
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 ½ tsp freshly ground cinnamon
½ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
50-75g vegan dark chocolate

Method
  1. Heat the oven to 220°C.
  2. Cut the sweet potatoes lengthwise into less than 1cm wide chips (fries). You want all the chips to be the same width so that they cook evenly. Using half the oil, oil the cooking trays lightly, and arrange the chips on the cooking trays so that they are evenly spaced. Lightly drizzle with the remaining oil.
  3. In a spice grinder, ground the coffee, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon until the ground coffee is finely ground. Sprinkle liberally half the mixture into the fries, turn the fries over and liberally sprinkle with the remaining spices.
  4. Place in the oven and cook for 12-15 minutes before turning over and coming for another 10-15 minutes. You want to see the edges and tops of the chips just starting to caramelise.
  5. Quickly melt the dark chocolate in a small bowl in a microwave. It won't take more than a minute or so, stir half way through. Drizzle over the chips just before serving and serve the remaining chocolate as a dip.
DSC_3923.JPG

I wonder if the chocolate is the bit that doesn't work? Well - I'd prefer it without, I think - but I can see coffee really working well with sweet potatoes.

We get bags of sweet potato here as chips, I roast in the oven with a little oil. They are beautiful.
These are not potato chips as you know them, but chunky chips. We call kumara. The Maori word. Red orange and yellow.

Russ

are not potato chips as you know them, but chunky chips
Mine were pretty chunky being over 1.5cm by 1.5cm and 15-20cm long !
They were meant to be thinner, but it just meant that they took longer to cook that was all . Chips (UK) are not chips (US/Aus). That's a dinner plate they are served on, not a side plate and there were only about 12 side by side in that photo.

I forgot to add these photos.

DSC_3900.JPG

Before dressing added

DSC_3911.JPG

After. .. You can see how few chips I got on a full sized baking tray . The oven here is a very decent size yet I needed 2 baking trays for 2 sweet potatoes.

Back
Top Bottom