Sweet potatoes - do you like them or hate them?

How do you feel about sweet potatoes?

• I love them

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • I hate them and would never eat them

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I don't like them but will eat them sometimes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • I don't feel strongly about them either way

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
No
My Mom always orders the pork chop, sweet potato and green beans at Texas Roadhouse.
She can only eat half of her order, barely, and is very happy to have a second and sometimes third meal out of it.
We always get a Fort Worth ribeye to split, which comes with two sides and a bunch of those delicious yeast rolls with cinnamon butter. Hubby gets the sweet potato and I get the broccoli. I like to get it rare and then I can reheat it at home to come to medium rare.

Add another positive vote for Sweet Potatoes.
I have a bag of frozen cubed Sweet Potato in the deep freeze that I purchased when my Mother was living with us to serve to her. Now that she's in her own apartment, I think I'll make up a Hash with that bag of frozen cubes and she and I can share it.
I’ve done that with beets and/or turnip cubed up as part of the hash, fried egg on top, of course.

he always wants me to get him a sweet potato with cinnamon, butter, and brown sugar
That’s one way I absolutely will not eat a sweet potato (unless you invited me over and served me one, then I’d eat it and tell you how much I loved it, but that’s just how I was raised up :wink: ). That’s got to be in my top five lists of Most Disgusting Foods Ever.

I’ve done that with beets and/or turnip cubed up as part of the hash, fried egg on top, of course.

That’s one way I absolutely will not eat a sweet potato (unless you invited me over and served me one, then I’d eat it and tell you how much I loved it, but that’s just how I was raised up :wink: ). That’s got to be in my top five lists of Most Disgusting Foods Ever.
I love my friends and family but I am not going to eat it. You are much, much, much more polite than I am. I just don't take one on my plate and usually no one asks why...and of course most of my family just knows I don't like them. Or those darned yam blobs with the marshmallows on them!

Then there is that canned creamed corn, ugh. Sickly sweet. My cousins in Texas make a savory version with no sugar, real cream, and some garlic thrown in, often seared across the top or even put in a foil pan on the smoker to get a smoky flavor infused. Yumm.

I love my friends and family but I am not going to eat it. You are much, much, much more polite than I am. I just don't take one on my plate and usually no one asks why...and of course most of my family just knows I don't like them. Or those darned yam blobs with the marshmallows on them!
If it’s sitting out buffet style, yeah…I’m skipping that, because self-serve buffet means to help yourself to whatever you like.

But if you invited me for supper, and we sat down, and you put a steak, some cauliflower gratin, and one of those potatoes on my plate, I’d be obliged to eat it, and compliment you on it. To do otherwise would be considered horrendously and unforgivably rude on my part.

That’s just how my mom raised me. Never, ever under any circumstances, say anything negative to somebody about something of theirs (food they made, clothes they’re wearing, etc) to their face. You do the polite thing and say how nice it is and then trash it in the car on the way home. That’s those Southern US manners we were taught. :laugh:

I can’t remember who it was, but I really want to say Rick Bayless in an interview, said much the same thing, that you should eat anything offered you as a guest, unless it’s a question of health, like an allergy. If it won’t kill you, smile, eat it, say “How nice!” and move on, because food is love and when you reject someone’s food because “Ick, I don’t like that!” you’re rejecting their offer of love and friendship.

Yep it is and I will eat them. I'll eat any vegetable but its not top of my list by any means. They are too sweet for me. But I do have several recipes which use them posted on the forum.
I don't like them but I used to eat them, they're really quite doable especially when fried with a good dip. But last time I ate them they caused an obstruction so not anymore

I LOVE SWEET POTATOES!!
  • pureed with loads of butter and pepper
  • minced with courgette and onion, Indian spices and besan flour to make pakoras
  • boiled as cubes and served with a garlic dip
  • cooked with lentils and hot spices
(Just to establish a counterposition! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: )

These dishes are the sort of way I would eat them (apart from the first). I think they need spices (particularly chilli) and also, preferably something 'acid' to offset their sweetness. The last thing they need is anything sweet added unless you are making a dessert or cake from them.

These dishes are the sort of way I would eat them (apart from the first). I think they need spices (particularly chilli) and also, preferably something 'acid' to offset their sweetness. The last thing they need is anything sweet added unless you are making a dessert or cake from them.
I think one of my Texas cousins makes a sweet potato pie, LOL.

If it (the dreaded sweet potato) was a very minor ingredient and chopped finely then disguised by spicy and savory flavours...well what I don't know won't hurt me in that case, I suppose.

I made a twice-baked sweet potato for a challenge that was awesome, and it had brown sugar and maple syrup mixed in. It also had cayenne pepper in it, and a jalapeño garnish-- sweet and heat are a favorite combination of mine.

Recipe - Sweet and Spicy Twice Baked Sweet Potato

CD

I'm a fan. Loved baked potatoes filled with sweet potatoes/ kumara (Maori word) mash with bacon onion and butter.
We get about 3 varieties here. Also oven roasted chips. Yummy.

Russ

Ooh, Sweet Potato chips!
I also really like Purple Sweet Potatoes
Hawaii May 2012 072.JPG

These are no where near as sweet, you'll find these very common in Hawaii.
Hawaii May 2012 066.JPG

Hawaiian Plates at Young's Fish Market in Honolulu.

Put me down as another lover of sweet potato pie.

My wife used to make a wonderful gratin of sweet potato, chipotle, and cream. I tried the same dish with coconut cream so my vegan daughter could eat it, and it was actually pretty damn good that way as well.

Shredded and stir fried over high heat with some cumin, hing, and garam masala, then finished with a squeeze of lemon juice, another fave of mine.

Back
Top Bottom