Sweet potatoes - do you like them or hate them?

How do you feel about sweet potatoes?

• I love them

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • I hate them and would never eat them

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I don't like them but will eat them sometimes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • I don't feel strongly about them either way

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
I'm sure it could!
That's my major issue with all of those foods (cooked carrots/butternut squash/sweet potatoes/etc.), they're cloyingly sweet to me, which is why the idea of adding more sweetness is repulsive.

I will eat cooked carrots in soups or stews if they are cut up in tiny pieces and cooked to the point where they no longer taste like anything but the other ingredients they were cooked with/in.

My mother used to cook carrots in a honey glaze and she never could understand why I didn't like that. That's another reason I dislike (most) ham: she always cooked it with a sweet glaze and topped with pineapple rings and marischino cherries (not on board with sweet and meat in the same bite). Thank goodness she always made a turkey as well or I would have been stuck just eating the sides!

That's my major issue with all of those foods (cooked carrots/butternut squash/sweet potatoes/etc.), they're cloyingly sweet to me, which is why the idea of adding more sweetness is repulsive.

I will eat cooked carrots in soups or stews if they are cut up in tiny pieces and cooked to the point where they no longer taste like anything but the other ingredients they were cooked with/in.

My mother used to cook carrots in a honey glaze and she never could understand why I didn't like that. That's another reason I dislike (most) ham: she always cooked it with a sweet glaze and topped with pineapple rings and marischino cherries (not on board with sweet and meat in the same bite). Thank goodness she always made a turkey as well or I would have been stuck just eating the sides!
How do you feel about parsnips?

How do you feel about parsnips?
Well they are alright. I had my first parsnip just last year (or maybe it was earlier this year). And it was actually cooked in with other root vegetables (lots of potatoes and onions and a few small carrots), but I added a lot of savory spices and herbs to take away the sweetness, and I cooked them with chicken thighs (with lots of garlic). And there were way more potatoes, onion, and roasted garlic in it than anything else. Also it was covered with a lemon-tarragon-wine (dry) cream sauce which disguised any sweetness perfectly. It was pretty good.

Last edited:

I hate cooked carrots (and I'm not crazy about carrots in general), but I am fine with sweet potatoes.

CD

I hate cooked carrots (and I'm not crazy about carrots in general), but I am fine with sweet potatoes.

CD
And I love cilantro and you don't. But will you eat it when used moderately in salsa or guacamole?

There is something weird about the beta carotene sweetness when cooked that is off-putting to me. I like raw carrots just fine.

And I love cilantro and you don't. But will you eat it when used moderately in salsa or guacamole?

There is something weird about the beta carotene sweetness when cooked that is off-putting to me. I like raw carrots just fine.

I do actually put a little very finely chopped cilantro in my salsas, sometimes. In small amounts, mixed into something, it adds a nice, subtle flavor.

I'm the same with comino/cunin. I small amount, good, more than that, bad.

I wouldn't use either one of those with sweet potatoes.

CD

I'm the same with comino/cunin. I small amount, good, more than that, bad.

I wouldn't use either one of those with sweet potatoes.

CD
Didn't know that was a likely combination...

Put me down as another lover of sweet potato pie.

My wife used to make a wonderful gratin of sweet potato, chipotle, and cream. I tried the same dish with coconut cream so my vegan daughter could eat it, and it was actually pretty damn good that way as well.

Shredded and stir fried over high heat with some cumin, hing, and garam masala, then finished with a squeeze of lemon juice, another fave of mine.

The OMWC, So am I! I absolutely LOVE sweet potato pie!! The way that I make it has people really buzzing (no pun intended). But I put some bourbon into the filling to add that extra zing to it & everyone just loves it!! I usually do it for the holidays, or anytime that I might feel a taste for it! :whistling:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom