Talk me out of buying a KitchenAid

I will say this about current KA quality - I have a KA food processor that's maybe 1-1/2 years old, so a new product, and it really is a piece of garbage. If their current stand mixers are of the same quality, I'd stay far, far away.

I determine how a food processor is, whether it's good or bad by the weight of the machine. If it's lightweight, then it more than likely has a very wimpy pea-brain universal motor - the kind that uses brushes that somewhere down the road have to be replaced!! If it is very heavy & almost hard to lift with only one hand, then it must have an induction motor, the kind that you want. Top models of Cuisinart, Robot Coup & or Breville are worth getting because their motors are far heavier & stronger than in most machines on the market. They hold up better because they have higher wattage than in lighter or smaller machines. Trust me, your getting your money's worth when you select a heavy machine. They are almost as if you're buying a commercial machine, which is probably the next step up. And the only drawback with commercial appliances is that companies don't cover them for home use!! Don't know why, but that's some crazy rule that they have!!

Last edited:
  • I got a butcher nearby who can grind meat on demand.

Don't know what a Kitchen Aid is exactly like but assume it's something similar to what we have a, Kenwood Chef Titanium.

If you're a complete nerd like me that, at least initially, follows a recipe to the letter some of the sausage recipes I have call for some coarse mincing and some fine/medium mincing. Getting a butcher to faff about may be difficult.

I find my Kenwood invaluable. Even when Mrs Wyshiepoo does a big batch of quiche for instance it saves so much time grating the cheese in the whizzer.
Soups are easy peasy in the goblet.
Ice cream maker makes good ice cream once you get the hang of it.

Unless you have a lot of extra money, you don't need to buy a Kitchenaid. Instead, all you need is the Galaxy model #5. I have this one, which cost me $50, and it's awesome. It's fast and efficient, and it comes with different size inserts to make different size grinds.

1898430.jpg

Just think of all the other kitchen gadgets you could buy with all that extra money!

A Little Story;

This "changing-of-the-guards, if you will, has been going on for some time now. It started many years ago.

1. Frigidaire. This company used to be owned by General Motors. They made washing machines that had the pulsator agitators that went up & down. A little noisy, but they were quite reliable. Then GM sold the company to what was back then known as White-Westinghouse, part of the White Consolidated Industries, Electrolux & so on. This trade-off began in the mid '70's. Quality went down.

2. General Electric. This company has probably sold out several times around the mid '80's. Still seems reliable.

3. Kitchenaid. This co. was owned by Hobart Corp. for many years. Hobart still makes commercial appliances for the food service industry. The appliances made by this division were very reliable & were seemingly built like an Army tank. Only 2 mixers in the whole line Good quality!! Then Hobart sold out their home appliances division to Whirlpool. Quality went down, as the KA brand became very unreliable, especially the mixers!! They were making so many different models in record time!! Thought that they could get away with using cheap inferior parts. Consumers began to complain, causing them to put quality back into the mixers, or at least supposedly try to. But this is why I stopped buying KA mixers & their other appliances.

4. FoodSavor; Their food vacuum machines were once made by Tilia for a time. Then Tilia sold out to the Jarden Corp. Quality went down, as far as I'm concerned!! The heating strips kept on crapping out, causing the machines to fail prematurely! I won't buy THEM any more either!!

5. Maytag; For practically a century, Maytag was making very reliable washing machines & dryers Your grandparents probably had them This was back when Jesse White did the TV ads. Then, in recent years, their appliances began to go sour, causing a multitude of consumers to complain night & day. Then Whirlpool opted to buy them out & won in court. I guess they are good now, because Whirlpool has always made reliable laundry appliances & refrigerators & freezers.

So you see, this 'changing-of-the-guards goes on a lot, & um, who is the one who mainly suffers from it? The unsuspecting consumer. They don't care because they are not the ones who actually buy the products. I wouldn't doubt it if product production is even outsourced to China, which some of it probably is!!! :eek:

A Little Story;

This "changing-of-the-guards, if you will, has been going on for some time now. It started many years ago.

1. Frigidaire. This company used to be owned by General Motors. They made washing machines that had the pulsator agitators that went up & down. A little noisy, but they were quite reliable. Then GM sold the company to what was back then known as White-Westinghouse, part of the White Consolidated Industries, Electrolux & so on. This trade-off began in the mid '70's. Quality went down.

2. General Electric. This company has probably sold out several times around the mid '80's. Still seems reliable.

3. Kitchenaid. This co. was owned by Hobart Corp. for many years. Hobart still makes commercial appliances for the food service industry. The appliances made by this division were very reliable & were seemingly built like an Army tank. Only 2 mixers in the whole line Good quality!! Then Hobart sold out their home appliances division to Whirlpool. Quality went down, as the KA brand became very unreliable, especially the mixers!! They were making so many different models in record time!! Thought that they could get away with using cheap inferior parts. Consumers began to complain, causing them to put quality back into the mixers, or at least supposedly try to. But this is why I stopped buying KA mixers & their other appliances.

4. FoodSavor; Their food vacuum machines were once made by Tilia for a time. Then Tilia sold out to the Jarden Corp. Quality went down, as far as I'm concerned!! The heating strips kept on crapping out, causing the machines to fail prematurely! I won't buy THEM any more either!!

5. Maytag; For practically a century, Maytag was making very reliable washing machines & dryers Your grandparents probably had them This was back when Jesse White did the TV ads. Then, in recent years, their appliances began to go sour, causing a multitude of consumers to complain night & day. Then Whirlpool opted to buy them out & won in court. I guess they are good now, because Whirlpool has always made reliable laundry appliances & refrigerators & freezers.
So you see, this 'changing-of-the-guards goes on a lot, & um, who is the one who mainly suffers from it? The unsuspecting consumer. They don't care because they are not the ones who actually buy the products. I wouldn't doubt it if product production is even outsourced to China, which some of it probably is!!! :eek:
Wow...a lot of really useful stuff here! I see that Kitchenaid hasn't lowered their prices to go with the lower quality. :(

Don't know what a Kitchen Aid is exactly like but assume it's something similar to what we have a, Kenwood Chef Titanium.

If you're a complete nerd like me that, at least initially, follows a recipe to the letter some of the sausage recipes I have call for some coarse mincing and some fine/medium mincing. Getting a butcher to faff about may be difficult.

I find my Kenwood invaluable. Even when Mrs Wyshiepoo does a big batch of quiche for instance it saves so much time grating the cheese in the whizzer.
Soups are easy peasy in the goblet.
Ice cream maker makes good ice cream once you get the hang of it.

View attachment 56969

Yours looks like it has a 7-quart work bowl. It used to be called the Kenwood Major. The 5-quart model, which I once had, was called the Kenwood Chef.
Kenwood is usually made by the same co. that also makes Delonghi & Viking mixers, whoever is doing it. I once watched a challenge show on the Food Network where Emeril Laggasse & Bobby Flay were making cake batter. The machine that Bobby Flay was using was a Viking, the work bowl got stuck & wouldn't release when the time came to empty it, so he had to turn the whole machine upside down just to empty the bowl!! What a pain in the butt THAT must've been!!! :eek:

Last edited:
Wow...a lot of really useful stuff here! I see that Kitchenaid hasn't lowered their prices to go with the lower quality. :(

No. They're gonna charge you ridiculously high prices for flimsily-made products. That is only the half of it!! Wait'll the thing breaks down & you call for service because the mixer or whatever has broken down. They'll blame YOU for the mishap, saying things like; You probably used too much flour. or, you used the wrong speed, or; You broke the beater, or; You had the machine on too long!! Anything to take the heat off themselves & put the load right on you. You might have to pay for shipping & handling both ways. And don't ever buy a refurbished product. That means that someone else had it & sent it back for a new one, so the old one gets fixed & is resold to someone else!! Beware of that!! It could break again in the same spot!! Also, it's only covered for 90 days vs. a year!!!!:eek:

Last edited:
I will say that KA's support was very good, it's just that the food processor I have is junk, and no support in the world can correct junk. All they can do is send you more junk to replace the junk that broke.

I bought my food processor, and it was obvious from the start that it was crap, so much so that I thought something was actually wrong with it.

No arguments, they shipped a new one before I got off the phone and asked me to box mine up and ship it back, and sent me a prepaid label to do so, so I can't complain about that - it's just that the food processor is an underpowered piece of garbage.

The funny thing is...I bought it to replace an ancient Cuisinart that could have liquified diamonds, it was so good (bowl broke over time and couldn't be replaced), and I was talked out of buying a new Cuisinart because...wait for it...they're owned by Conair, another conglomerate that makes everything from hair driers to phones, and so many people IRL and online said their quality tanked after Conair took them over! :laugh:

I do know my next one will either be a Breville or a Bosch.

View attachment 56965

I have THIS one. A Cuisinart machine!! It works for me!!:whistling:

I have that one, too. I still like the KA Stand Mixer for grinding meat. Many people will say to have your meat par-frozen before grinding, to keep the grinder and bladed cool.

For high volume grinding, for a lot of sausage making A stand alone grinder/stuffer is the way to go. Ijust want a meal worth of ground meat at a time, find my KA does a great job -- and it is a multitasker, as Alton Brown would rave. LOL

CD

Unless you have a lot of extra money, you don't need to buy a Kitchenaid. Instead, all you need is the Galaxy model #5. I have this one, which cost me $50, and it's awesome. It's fast and efficient, and it comes with different size inserts to make different size grinds.

View attachment 56971

Just think of all the other kitchen gadgets you could buy with all that extra money!

That is the same as mine. Good price eh?

Russ

I will say that KA's support was very good, it's just that the food processor I have is junk, and no support in the world can correct junk. All they can do is send you more junk to replace the junk that broke.

I bought my food processor, and it was obvious from the start that it was crap, so much so that I thought something was actually wrong with it.

No arguments, they shipped a new one before I got off the phone and asked me to box mine up and ship it back, and sent me a prepaid label to do so, so I can't complain about that - it's just that the food processor is an underpowered piece of garbage.

The funny thing is...I bought it to replace an ancient Cuisinart that could have liquified diamonds, it was so good (bowl broke over time and couldn't be replaced), and I was talked out of buying a new Cuisinart because...wait for it...they're owned by Conair, another conglomerate that makes everything from hair driers to phones, and so many people IRL and online said their quality tanked after Conair took them over! :laugh:

I do know my next one will either be a Breville or a Bosch.

I forgot to list them amongst the products where the makers had changed hands so many times.
Here's a little something about them.
At first, Robot Coup, a French co, was making them. I once had a baby Robot Coup model. Then a dude named Carl 'something or other" acquired them. Forgot his last name. They were then made in Japan. Carl either left or passed on & that is when Conair began making them. They're probably made in China now. To me, they've been pretty good. In the mid '80's, I bought a refurbished Cuisinart DL-7Pro that lasted over 25 years!! Don't expect the one that i have now to last THAT long, but it should last quite a while before I have to buy another one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom