Talk me out of buying a KitchenAid

TR hasn't brought up ATK test videos, yet.

Stand Mixers...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98BQVf-xF_Q

Food Processors...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozmNUWWzbtM

CD
They rated the crummy KA mixer #1 again!!! Whirlpool cut corners & made it flimsy!!!! No offence to anyone here. You buy whatever you like, but my 2 Globe mixers, to me, are the clear-cut winners. I'll probably NEVER SEE EITHER OF those machines on there because they are both commercially rated by the NSF!!!! My Cuisinart won again!!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Craig generally does the meat grinding. He puts all the metal parts in the freezer for several hours before grinding. Even doing that, the KA would get warm.

Thanks for all your replies everyone. It's given me a lot to think about and my current thinking is along the path of 'smaller/cheaper standalone meat grinder and separate pasta roller'.

Last edited:
Good thinking, buddy!! I was hoping that we could talk you out of buying a piece-of-junk KA mixer!!!! :whistling:

I asked to be talked out of it, you delivered. :D
You're right!! Yes, you DID ask! So glad to have helped you!! Oh well. Whirlpool has lost another valuable prospective customer!!! Hah!! Wouldn't want you to get hurt by their crappy reputation!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Here's how bad my KA food processor is:

I just made squash lasagna, as posted earlier. It called for roasting and puréeing some butternut squash.

Roasted squash, cut into one inch cubes, easily mashed with a fork - no problem, right?

WRONG!

I filled it less than half full, well under the max, turned it on high, and it spun...and spun...and bogged down.

Stopped it, poked the squash a little to see if it was jammed up, turned it on again, and it spun...and bogged down immediately.

Ok, maybe it needs to get bogged down and churn some stuff up before it catches its breath and really gets going, so it decided to turn it on and just let it run.

Spinning...spinning...bogging down...bogging down some more...and it just squealed and stopped running.

Keep in mind, this was cooked squash! So soft, toothless babies eat it! And the food processor couldn't handle it!

I'd tell you the first time I tried dough in it, but that's a short story, which ended in me getting the replacement KA food processor I have now. :laugh: :cry:

I just made squash lasagna, as posted earlier. It called for roasting and puréeing some butternut squash.

Roasted squash, cut into one inch cubes, easily mashed with a fork - no problem, right?

WRONG!

I filled it less than half full, well under the max, turned it on high, and it spun...and spun...and bogged down.

Stopped it, poked the squash a little to see if it was jammed up, turned it on again, and it spun...and bogged down immediately.

Ok, maybe it needs to get bogged down and churn some stuff up before it catches its breath and really gets going, so it decided to turn it on and just let it run.

Spinning...spinning...bogging down...bogging down some more...and it just squealed and stopped running.

Keep in mind, this was cooked squash! So soft, toothless babies eat it! And the food processor couldn't handle it!

I'd tell you the first time I tried dough in it, but that's a short story, which ended in me getting the replacement KA food processor I have now. :laugh: :cry:

Sounds to me like your'e really in a pickle!! I think that you should look into getting another machine asap before this one quits on you for good!!:eek:

They rated the crummy KA mixer #1 again!!! Whirlpool cut corners & made it flimsy!!!! No offence to anyone here. You buy whatever you like, but my 2 Globe mixers, to me, are the clear-cut winners. I'll probably NEVER SEE EITHER OF those machines on there because they are both commercially rated by the NSF!!!! My Cuisinart won again!!! :whistling:

It's not really fair, or relevant to compare a consumer product to a commercial kitchen product. Most of us don't need a commercial mixer, and I wouldn't know where to put one, let alone two.

So, I guess I'm stuck with a crummy KA mixer. In another 20 years, it will probably break. :wink:

CD

Guess you'r right. One is in a closet, the other is out in the open on a heavy duty table. I just think that a commercially rated mixer is better than household machines, which it is. :whistling:

I have a purple KitchenAid Artisan stand mixer - I love it and I even designed my kitchen to match the colour. :wink:

I mostly use mine for baking cakes and biscuits, and whipping egg whites. I used to use it to knead bread dough, but I now knead by hand.....Its not much more work and I think the dough structure is much better by hand.

I have the pasta roller/cutter attachments and I think they're absolutely fabulous! I used to have a manual Imperia pasta machine, but I much prefer my KitchenAid pasta attachment.

The ice cream bowl is so-so....you need to freeze the bowl for 24 hours beforehand and its very large so finding space in the freezer isn't always easy.

Mine lives on the worktop next to my Magimix food processor (which I use for chopping pureeing and grating) so its there ready for when I need it. I used to keep the Magimix in the cupboard but found I didn't use it very much - I think the same would be true of a stand mixer, so if you can find some space on the worktop then I'd recommend it.

It's not really fair, or relevant to compare a consumer product to a commercial kitchen product. Most of us don't need a commercial mixer, and I wouldn't know where to put one, let alone two.

So, I guess I'm stuck with a crummy KA mixer. In another 20 years, it will probably break. :wink:

CD
Keep in mind, too, that that ATK review is for the KA Classic, which is a scaled-down (budget) version of the Artisan, so that'll be a slightly robust machine anyway.

SeriousEats did a similar review to that one, and they liked the Ambiano (sp?) mixer from ALDI. They said as long as it was working, it did a pretty good job for the home kitchen, but they didn't expect it to have the life expectancy of a KA.

My sis has a really crappy Hamilton-Beach or Sunbeam, one of those, and it's basically a hand mixer that fits in a stand and comes with a bowl. It even came with a dough hook. Can it knead bread? Not on your life. :laugh:

My KA is still muscling through pizza doughs and bread doughs like a champ, 25+ years on, and doesn't show any signs of stopping any time soon, I like it very much, and it's frequently in use.

Last edited:

WRONG!

Sometimes you have to add a bit of liquid to help things along. When I pureed the leeks and bacon the other day, I had to add about 1/4 cup of the liquid to get it to fully puree.

If you're talking about super cheap mixers, this one is similar to mine, for less than $50 at Target:

GUEST_f22b5682-b306-4d8f-a21d-6b0bb64c9c41

Like mine, it includes dough hooks, and is perfectly suitable for anything I want to do. My meat grinder, pasta roller, and mixer cost me about $100 combined. They do everything I need, so it's hard to justify the expense of a high-end replacement.

Back
Top Bottom