Recipe Tapioca biscuits

Timenspace

Guru
Local time
1:23 PM
The educational basis was a Malaysianchinesekitchen website recipe for sweet tapioca cookies named Kuih Bangkit. However, I decided to alter those into salty cookies, that feel like biscuits, in my perception. Hopefully, noone is offended by this alternation. It is a new dish.

Ingredients:
325 g tapioca flour
5-6 dry lime leaves
1 egg yolk
50 g onion powder
10 g salt, or more if you prefer
200 ml liquid, coconut milk/cream or, I used 65 g of melted coconut butter and 135 ml (possibly 150 ml) oat milk, did not use it all. I freshly prepared it by speedboiling some oats, or any other milk of your liking

Method:

This was my first use of tapioca flour. I love the scent of it, very tender, reminding me of powdered milk or whipped cream...or a gentle facial powder scent of a natural product...really nice.

1. Spread the tapioca flour onto a baking tray, put the lime leaves in it. Bake on 93c for an hour, let cool. I actually did this step twice, so in true self-isolation, endless time available manner, as the original quantity of tapioca flour, and divided by 2, for the smaller quantity, was not enough...

2. Beat the egg yolk, onion powder and salt together. Sieve the flour. Add a part by part of the tapioca flour and the liquid. The goal is to have a dough that is light to knead, and not sticky.

Honestly, it is the most beautiful dough I have ever used so far. So smooth and tender.

3. I had nothing similar to the wonderful traditional Kuih Bangkit moulds, so I used my silicon tray and some cookie cutters. Simply tear off a part of the dough and press it in. I used a deco stamp for the silicon tray ones...probably the cookie cutter ones are better, anyways, you can use something else.

4. Bake at 163 c, now in retrospect I think for my oven, it could have been 180 C, but I must try a new batch some other time to see...for 20-25 minutes, the recipe says, however it took my oven a bit longer, 35 minutes roughly...the under side should be light brown.

As my daughter and I took pictures of the cut-through biscuit, I though, oh No, it is underbaked, but tasting it, it was just a more gooey part,, I assume the coconut butter and oat milk were not blended and/or not cooled properly...or any other reason...it was getting late last night...

The biscuits are light and I really like the taste, the onion and the tapioca blend together brilliantly. There are a variety of uses, so just enjoy. I had the impression that three, although small, were quite filling, but it may be my covid, or they may be indeed, I have no idea.

For a vegan version, chia seeds are a possible substitute for the egg yolk, or any other egg sub you may already be using...

Sprinkling with flax seeds or other is also an option, I went for the plain, for a first timer.

Very unusual - I would never have thought of using tapioca in a biscuit. The end result looks almost like fudge. Roasting the flour is an interesting step. What does this add? Does it perhaps develop a nutty taste? The use of lime leaf here is intriguing too. Does the aromatic flavour come through in the final result?

Very unusual - I would never have thought of using tapioca in a biscuit. The end result looks almost like fudge. Roasting the flour is an interesting step. What does this add? Does it perhaps develop a nutty taste? The use of lime leaf here is intriguing too. Does the aromatic flavour come through in the final result?
Yes, unusual, indeed, esepcially in a savoury or neutral variation... it does look like a fudge, but tastes not like one, but baked and tender, chewier in those regions. If I were to do these again, I would look into longer baking times, even longer, as it was elongated already, and possibly, adding some nuts, I like the idea of crunch inside. Baking the flour with lime leave added the lime leave scent, very discreet to the tapioca, now as to the taste, I did not taste tapioca raw or raw flour so I can't tell, but will investigate further, as I like the tapioca flour and I tolerate it well. No, the aromatic flavour of the lime or tapioca is overpowered by the onion powder...so I might opt to do without, and see how I can get aromas...
Thank you for asking:love:

Back
Top Bottom